British Council scholarships for Women in STEM
The University of Bristol, in partnership with the British Council, is proud to announce five fully funded scholarships for female students from East Asia interested in pursuing master’s studies in STEM subjects.
This scholarship is for those who wish to inspire future generations of women to pursue careers in STEM. We are looking for women with a background in STEM, who can demonstrate their need for financial support to study in the UK.
This scholarship programme aims to increase opportunities in STEM for women and girls. It covers full costs (up to agreed limits for each element) associated with the programme study, including:
- full tuition fees
- up to 12-months monthly stipend at the rate of £1,347 per month to cover costs of living, including accommodation
- IELTS exam fee (for scholars without a valid Test of English)
- return economy class travel from home country to UK
- study related costs, such as essential travel, materials, equipment, and thesis printing
- visa and insurance / NHS surcharge costs.
We are looking for applicants who:
- identify as a woman
- are a passport holder and permanent resident of one of the following countries:
- are classed as an overseas student for fee purposes
- have not previously studied at degree level or higher in the UK or lived recently in the UK
- do not hold dual British citizenship
- can demonstrate need for financial support
- have submitted an application to study a qualifying one-year full-time master's degrees. It must start in September 2024, and be in one of the eligible programmes
- will return to their country of citizenship for a minimum of two years after their scholarship has ended.
How to apply
Applications are now open.
Applications close at 11:59 pm (UK time) on Tuesday 30 April 2024.
We expect successful applicants to be informed in June 2024.
Applicants who defer their studies cannot defer their scholarship.
If you are awarded a scholarship, you agree to act as a good ambassador for the University of Bristol. You will at times will be asked to participate in events or promotional activities. Any involvement in these activities will take up no more than five hours per term.
The University of Bristol previously hosted Women in STEM scholars in the 2021/22 and 2022/23 academic years.
This scholarship is delivered in partnership with the British Council. By applying for this scholarship, you are agreeing to your personal data being shared with the British Council.
Other sources of funding:
Why this scholarship programme?
For the fourth year running, the British Council is launching the global Women in STEM scholarship programme in partnership with UK universities.
According to data from the UN Scientific Education and Cultural Organization, less than 30% of the world’s researchers are women. Likewise, only 30% of female students select STEM-related fields in higher education.
Educating, training, and hiring more women in STEM can lead to better scientific and financial outcomes. It increases diversity in the workforce, and brings variety in perspectives, giving organisations a competitive edge.
- MSc Applied Neuropsychology
- MSc Public Health
- MSc Epidemiology
- MSc Climate Change Science and Policy
- MSc Environmental Policy and Management
- MSc Health Economics and Health Policy Analysis
- MSc Medical Statistics and Health Data Science
- MSc Molecular Neuroscience
- MSc Translational Cardiovascular Medicine
- MSc Global Wildlife Health and Conservation
- MSc Biomedical Sciences Research
- MSc Psychology (Conversion)
- MSc Science Communication for a Better Planet
- MSc Biorobotics
- MSc Digital Health
- MSc Engineering with Management: Intelligent Manufacturing
- MSc Engineering with Management: Energy for Sustainability
- MSc Nuclear Science and Engineering
- MSc Communication Networks and Signal Processing
- MSc Cyber Security (Infrastructures Security)
- MSc Earthquake Engineering and Infrastructure Resilience
- MSc Water and Environmental Management
- MSc Scientific Computing and Data Science
- MSc Environmental Analytical Chemistry
- MSc Environmental Modelling and Data Analysis
- MSc Global Development and Environment
- MSc International Security
- MSc Society, Politics and Climate Change
- MSc Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- MSc Business Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- MSc Social Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- MSc Technology Innovation and Entrepreneurship.
Find out more
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.