The Mobile Lab
The Mobile Laboratory is a multi-functional van owned by the Tobacco and Alcohol Research Group (TARG) and the MRC Integrative Epidemiology Unit (MRC IEU). It is available for hire for University of Bristol related activities, including research and public engagement.
In addition to a laboratory, comprising computer testing spaces, a sink, fridge and engagement hatch, the van has a side awning with optional walls to create additional outside space.
Inside the laboratory section.
See our Photo Gallery for more photographs.
What facilities does it have?
The following facilities are provided:
- Two workstations, each with space for a laptop
- Wall-mounted computer monitor
- Removable table with benches
- Small kitchen with sink
- Storage space
- Small fridge
- Power via either an electrical hook-up or a generator
- A roof awning
You can also request the following additional equipment:
- Phlebotomy chair
- Side panels for the awning, to create an enclosed outdoor space
- Table and chairs for inside the awning space
- Storage boxes
- Two laptops
How much does it cost?
The van costs £150 per day to hire (half-days may be purchased at £75 per half-day). This covers the ongoing costs of maintaining the van, such as parking, tax and essential maintenance.
Fuel costs are not included in this price. Advice on claiming fuel expenses can be found here.
Discounted rates may be available. To discuss this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who can drive the van?
UoB staff and students who have a full, clean driving license and are aged 21 years or over are permitted to drive the van, after they have been authorised to do so.
How does insurance work?
The van is fully insured. To comply with the University's insurance policy, any driver will need to complete a declaration form and have their driving license checked prior to driving the van.
What kind of activities can the van be used for?
We're using the van for recruiting and testing participants outside of the University as well as for public engagement events. But we're looking forward to seeing how you use it.
Where is the van?
The van is parked at the back of The Hawthorns.
What are the COVID-19 precautions?
Each van user will be responsible for taking appropriate COVID-19 precautions depending on the activities they will be doing and the latest Government advice/University policy. During the booking process, you will be asked to complete sections of our risk assessment detailing the COVID-19 risks associated with your activities and how you will mitigate them. The form contains advice on appropriate mitigations.
You will be responsible for providing your own cleaning materials and PPE.
First aid requirements
To use the van you must meet the following requirement:
- At least one person present must have the necessary level of first aid training - this may be the driver, or another person who will be present at all times during van use.
- The necessary level of training is to have attended the ‘Emergency First Aid at Work’ (full day) training course, completed within the past year, or (if the certificate is 1-3 years old), to have attended an online refresher course within the past year.
- Alternatively, if the van will be parked at a location which provides trained first aid personnel (e.g., at an event, or community centre) this may be sufficient, depending on the activities you will be doing. If you will be relying on this first aid provision, please contact the venue in advance to confirm that personnel will be available and display their contact details prominently in the van during use.
- Trained medical professionals will automatically meet the first aid requirement.
If you would like to discuss this, please email email@example.com.
How to make a booking
To make a booking, please complete and submit the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can view our calendar to see which dates are available. Please allow plenty of time to book as authorisation may take time to process.
3) For each driver:
b) A scanned (or clear, readable photograph) copy of your driving license
c) A PDF of your 'License Summary' page from this Government website
Check available booking dates
Photos of the mobile laboratory
Follow us on Twitter