Treasure's description

Rose Cottage

Rose Cottage

Rose Cottage forms part of Blaise Hamlet, the Bristol masterpiece of the architect John Nash. The hamlet was completed in 1811 for the banker and industrialist John Scandrett Harford, Senior, and depicted in memorable lithographs by James Duffield Harding, based on drawings by Hugh O’Neill. These were published under the patronage of John Scandrett Harford, Junior, in ‘Nine lithographic views of the cottages composing Blaise Hamlet’ (1826). As the introduction to this work explains, ‘His [Harford’s] object was to provide a comfortable asylum for persons advanced in years, and who had a sufficient income to maintain them comfortably when relieved from the expense of house-rent. He did not long survive the completion of the plan [dying in 1815], but it was his delight, as long as his health permitted, to visit a spot in which he had been the means of centering so much happiness’.