Frequently asked questions

General transcript information

Successful graduates

Missing/incorrect information

Bank letters

Council tax letters

Collection and delivery

Urgent requests

Additional queries

General transcript information

Can I order a transcript if I left the University before 2005?

Students who graduated before 2005 may request a transcript (see guidance on transcripts and official documents). However the information required to produce a full transcript may be incomplete.* If we are unable to produce your transcript you will be notified via email and a refund will be issued.

If we cannot produce your transcript we will provide you with a certification letter. A certification letter confirms your status as a former student of the University of Bristol and includes:

  • your official name
  • your student number
  • your date of birth
  • the name of your faculty
  • your programme title
  • the start and end dates of your programme
  • our staff signature
  • our official stamp
  • our fax and telephone number.

This letter will also include a sentence to state that “Due to the date of completion of studies the University are unable to provide a complete official transcript as requested and regret that the document cannot be produced for this past student.”

*The University maintains student records for up to eight years.

Is the transcript I order from the online shop an official document?

Yes. A transcript requested through the Online Shop is an official document, not a copy. This transcript will be exactly the same as the one you will, or would have, received after graduation.

The transcript is produced on water marked paper and is signed and stamped with the University of Bristol seal (see guidance on transcripts and official documents).

Successful graduates

I have completed an undergraduate/taught postgraduate programme. When will my final marks be released and made available on my transcript?

Confirmed results will be available after the Faculty Exam Board on the web via StudentInfo. Final year results will normally be posted online one working week from the date of the Faculty Examination Board.

Once this has been confirmed finalists will receive an email stating their award. After graduation a transcript will be sent out to students (free of charge).

I have now graduated when can I expect my transcript?

A transcript will be sent out up to two months after graduation to your home address (as recorded on StudentInfo); please ensure this contact information is up to date.

If you require your transcript earlier you will need to pay a fee for an additional copy through the Online Shop.

I have completed a postgraduate research programme and want to know when I will be able to request a formal transcript from the University?

All finalists’ theses will be considered at the next available Research Degrees Exam Board. To find out when this is please see the information on the Examinations Office website. Once all corrections have been completed and your award has been confirmed by the Research Degrees Exam Board, you may request a final transcript through the Online Shop.

Missing/incorrect information

I requested a transcript but it does not show all of my unit marks?

Results must be confirmed at the Faculty Exam Board prior to being released and updated in StudentInfo.

If you are a current student and have provisionally received a mark but it does not appear on your transcript this means it is awaiting approval by the relevant Exam Board.

If you have graduated and a mark is missing or incorrect, please contact and we will look into this for you.

All marks are subject to approval by the Faculty Exam Board.

What can I do if I have received my transcript and my dissertation title is wrong?

If there is a mistake on your transcript you will need to contact either your School or the Faculty Education Team who will be able to make the amendments for you.

Once the correction has been made you will have an updated transcript issued (free of charge).

I requested a letter and have been asked to update my address, why?

Your home address should be your family address (international students are advised to provide their permanent overseas address).

Your term address should be where you are living while you are studying. If this is not up to date on your student record we will ask you to amend it through StudentInfo.

All personal details must be correct and up to date before we can produce the document.

Bank letters

Why do I have to provide evidence of my tenancy agreement to collect a bank letter?

Students that occupy University owned accommodation do not need to provide a tenancy agreement; they must however produce their student card to collect their bank letter from the Faculty Office.

If you do not live in University owned accommodation we will need to see your tenancy agreement and student card before we can release the bank letter to you.

This procedure is implemented by the financial regulator, the bank letter follows a nationally agreed template confirming that the University has had sight of your tenancy agreement.

If I live at home or with a friend how can I provide a tenancy agreement?

If you live with a family member, guardian or friend we ask that they provide a signed letter confirming the address and that you live with them.

You should bring this together with an official letter document (for example a mortgage statement, utility bill or bank statement) that clearly shows your family, guardian, friend as the addressee at the same address.

We can advise further on what evidence might be acceptable by contacting us at

I need a bank letter but I have not registered at the University yet. Can I request one through the Online Shop?

We cannot produce documents for provisional University of Bristol students.

Once you have registered as a student at the University we can provide this document for you.

I have not registered yet but I was at the University studying a pre-sessional course this summer. Can I request a bank letter?

No. You should have been issued with a bank letter in your introduction week at the University.

If you were not, or you have any questions regarding this, please contact Centre for English Language and Foundation Studies (CELFS)

Council tax letters

Why have I been sent a council tax bill when I am a student?

At the start of the academic year the local council are notified of the full time students attending the University of Bristol. If, however, you have received a council tax bill you will need to provide them with proof of your student status by requesting a council tax letter through the Online Shop; this is free of charge.

Households where everyone is a full-time student do not have to pay Council Tax. If you do get a bill, you can apply for an exemption.

Please note to be eligible as a full-time student, your course must last at least 1 year and involve at least 21 hours study per week, for further guidance visit GOV.UK

My council tax letter says that my course finishes at the end of June but I am not leaving until July can you change the date?

We are unable to adjust your end date as this is the official completion date of your studies and when you will be no longer classified as a student.

For council tax purposes after this period you are liable to be charged tax by your local council.

Collection and delivery

I have ordered a transcript through the online shop but have not received an email that my document is ready for collection/ has been posted?

You will be notified, at the email address supplied on the online form, when your document is ready for collection or has been sent.

Please ensure that all your personal contact details, particularly your email address, are up to date prior to ordering documents. You can check your details are up to date here

Where can I collect my document from?

You will be notified via email when your document is ready for collection, this email will state the date and time that the document will be ready to collect from the Reception Desk on the first floor  of 2 Priory Road.

Please note you will not be able to collect your document earlier than the time stated. 

Can a friend collect my document?

A friend or nominated individual can collect a document on your behalf but you must specify this when ordering through the Online Shop.

On the online form there is a question that asks for Any additional information? Please give the name and, if the friend is a student at the University of Bristol, their student number.

If you have not provided us with these details prior to collection the document will not be released.

Please ask your friend to bring photo identification such as their student card (UOB students only) passport or a driving licence when collecting on your behalf.

What service do you use to post items?

Documents are sent via standard second class with the Royal Mail postal service.

Worldwide/overseas addresses are sent with an international standard service.

How are transcripts posted?

Transcripts are placed in a small envelope and sealed with the official University of Bristol stamp and the signature of the administrator. This smaller envelope is placed inside a larger envelope and posted to the address provided.

This process symbolises that the document has not been tampered with; a requirement often essential if the document is being sent to a third party or to a Higher Education Institution.

My order has not arrived at my address. Can I track my order?

No. All documents are sent via a standard mail postal service and we cannot track an order, nor do we hold responsibility for the delivery of the document.

For estimated delivery times please see the Royal Mail guidance.

Can I arrange for my document to be sent with a courier?

Yes. You must organise and pay for this personally. Please confirm the courier details and arranged time for collection to

The University of Bristol does not offer a courier service.

Urgent requests

If I come to the office will you be able to produce my document for me while I wait?

No. All transcript and letter requests must be made through the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law Online Shop. We are not able to make exceptions.

Can I have my document sooner if it is urgent?

No. Letters can take up to three working days to be produced and transcripts take up to ten working days. We aim to have your requests fulfilled within these times frames.

Due to the high volume of orders we receive we cannot prioritise individual requests. Each request is important and therefore in fairness to all, requests are dealt with in the order in which they are received.

Can you send electronic copies of the documents?

No. We cannot send University documents electronically. Requests must be made through our Online Shop and hard copies are either collected in person or sent to an address provided.

Additional queries

A cover letter needs to be attached to my transcript for an application, how can I do that?

If you require an additional form to be sent with your transcript, either a covering letter or an application form then we can assist.

When filling out the order form request through the Online Shop ensure that you include any requests for additional documentation in the Any additional information? box.

Upon receiving a confirmation email of your order, send the additional document to quoting your order number; which begins UOB.

I am applying for an internship, what letter should I request?

Unfortunately we cannot produce letters concerning internships through the Online Shop. You will need to discuss this request with your School.

We can produce a certification letter that includes the University term dates by request. This will highlight the periods of study and hence when you are available to undertake an internship.

How long do I have to collect my document?

All documents are kept at the Stuent Enquiries Desk on the 1st Floor of 2 Priory Road for up to three months after being produced, after this time frame they are destroyed.

Edit this page