Ovid in the West Country
The Ovid in the West Country 2020 competition has now launched! Watch our short introduction video to find out more...
Ovid in the West Country is an annual competition for state school students at KS2 (Y5-6) & KS3 (Y7-8) in Bristol and the surrounding area.
The competition is run jointly by the Bristol Classics Hub and UWE Bristol with the aim to get students excited about storytelling by listening to the stories from Ovid's Metamorphoses available via the Classical Tales website.
In lieu of our summer teaching workshop, which was unfortunately cancelled due to Covid-19, we have created a shared folder Ovid teacher info + resources accessible via OneDrive.
This comprehensive package includes audio recordings of the Ovid stories, transcripts, lesson plans, case studies, and FAQs. It has all the information those who are new to the competition might need, as well as useful materials for those who have entered in previous years.
It also includes this helpful video by Bob Lister, which gives an overview of the different stories available via the shared folder along with some guidance on how best to approach them.
This year’s competition is designed to be as accessible and Covid-friendly as possible, so these materials can be shared online with students in a remote learning environment where necessary.
If you would like to get your students involved, please contact Lizzie Gourd at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Key dates for 2020
- Early July: Information and resources made available online for teachers, including audio files, transcripts, & lesson plans.
- September to October: Teaching of Ovid’s stories in English lessons, clubs or writing groups.
- Late October / Early November: Students submit their competition entries to teachers. First round of competition judged internally at each school.
- 11th November: Deadline for the submission of all shortlisted entries to the Classics Hub. Entries should be made via email unless otherwise arranged (digital photos will be accepted for 3D models and other physical entries).
- 30th November: Prize-giving event at The Roman Baths for KS2 (14:00-15:30) and KS3 (16:30-18:00).
If you would like to register your interest in the competition, please contact Lizzie Gourd: email@example.com