Events - Centre for Medieval Studies
From Fragment to Whole Conference 2021
16th September online - 17th September in-person
This hybrid online and in-person conference, hosted by the Centre for Medieval Studies is devoted to the study of manuscript fragments, and what these fragments can tell us about lost books, medieval and post-medieval book history,and textual history. Research questions may include,but are not limited to:
- What difference does the manuscript fragment make to the textual tradition of the text it contains?
- What can manuscript fragments tell us about the lost literature of the Middle Ages and about changing tastes?
- How can we use evidence from manuscript fragments to piece together the lost book from which it derives and what means do we have at our disposal to do so?
- How should we catalogue and preserve manuscript fragments?
- What do manuscript fragments tell us about the history of manuscript fragmentation and its agents (e.g. early printers, book collectors, auctioneers, book vandals)?
A volume of conference proceedings is anticipated.
- School of Humanities
7 Woodland Road