Emergency accommodation

The Accommodation Office provides short-term emergency accommodation to current students. Examples of situations where you might need to stay in emergency accommodation include: 

  • a fire, flood or similar that means you cannot remain in your usual accommodation,
  • a concern that your personal safety is at risk if you stayed in your usual accommodation. 

Please note that financial hardship is not a qualifying condition for emergency accommodation and if you are struggling with the costs of your accommodation you should contact Fees and Funding about the financial assistance fund.   

If you feel that your circumstances are such that you need a place in emergency accommodation, how you should request accommodation depends on your situation:

  • If your need is relating to your welfare, you should contact the mental health and wellbeing services, which are the first point of contact for all wellbeing concerns. They will be able to offer you support with the situation your are dealing with, and if they feel that your situation requires emergency accommodation they will be able to make the arrangements with the Accommodation Office on your behalf.  
  • If your need is relation to a non-welfare issue, you should contact the Accommodation Office. You will need to give us your current address and your student number and we will ask you some questions about why you need emergency accommodation. You can email us, telephone on 0117 954 6640, or call into the Accommodation Office in person during our opening hours

If you need emergency accommodation outside normal opening hours you should contact the Residential Student Support Centres by calling 0117 428 3300.

Your stay in emergency accommodation

The nature of emergency accommodation means it is organised quickly. Within a couple of days of moving in, the Accommodation Office will send you an offer to occupy the room, which will include promising to abide by the local rules for the residence and to pay any rent due. You will need to log in to your Accommodation Portal to accept the offer. If you do not complete this step you may be asked to move out of the emregency accommodation.   

You will be expected to pay the normal rent chargeable for the emergency accommodation for any stay of more than one night, however the charge can be waived by permission of Head of Accommodation Office for a maximum of two weeks where the student is liable for rent on another accommodation.

Any charge for rent will be added to your student account.

Stays in emergency accommodation are for a maximum of two weeks. If you need accommodation for longer, the Accommodation Office will seek to find you a suitable permanent room, for which rent will be payable at the standard rate. As a general rule the Accommodation Office will aim to move students who require a stay of more than two weeks into permanent accommodation as quickly as possible.

Having problems with your private accommodation?

We've got downloads with advice on plenty of common problems and are here to help if you run in to trouble while renting in the private sector. 

Where to get help

If you have a problem with housing and can't find the answer on these web pages, you can get in touch with our private sector advisers. They can provide advice and information and help explore the options open to you. The service is free, confidential, impartial, non-judgmental, independent and accessible.

Email us at accom-private-sector@bristol.ac.uk and you will receive a response within 5 working days or less.

Edit this page