Senate oversees teaching and research at the University and makes academic regulations.
On this page
Responsibilities and terms of reference
Senate provides assurance to the Board of Trustees:
- for academic quality, standards and governance
- that the University is meeting the Office for Students (OfS) conditions of registration in respect of quality and standards.
The primary responsibilities of Senate are set out in Ordinance 6.
There are over 100 members of Senate. Members include the Vice-Chancellor and President, Pro Vice-Chancellors, Deans, Heads of School, Registrar and University Secretary, Chief Operating Officer, Librarian, Bristol Students' Union Sabbatical Officers, and a number of elected staff and student representatives.
Download the Senate membership 2021/22 (PDF, 189kB).
- Current post-holder: Shana Johnson
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: +44 (0)117 42 83169
Committees of Senate
Several committees report into Senate:
Joint committees of the Board of Trustees and Senate
Committees report jointly to the Board of Trustees and Senate.
The Honorary Degrees Committee recommends candidates for honorary degrees and honorary fellowships.
Staff, contact your faculty office about possible Senate vacancies.
Students, contact the Students' Union Impact and Influence directorate to find out if there are any vacancies. Senate has 12 student representatives.
Meeting dates and paper submission deadlines
Senate meets in accordance with it's Standing orders (PDF, 166kB).
- Monday, 11 October 2021, 2pm
(Paper deadline 28 September 2021)
- Monday 13 December 2021, 2pm
(Paper deadline 29 November 2021)
- Monday 7 February 2022, 2pm
(Paper deadline 25 January 2022)
- Monday 25 April 2022, 2pm
(Paper deadline 11 April 2022)
- Monday 20 June 2022, 2pm
(Paper deadline 7 June 2022)
Agendas and minutes
Download agendas and minutes from previous Senate meetings.
Agendas and minutes from this year will be added as they become available.
- Agenda, 21 June 2021 (PDF, 173kB)
- Minutes, 21 June 2021 (PDF, 154kB)
- Agenda, 19 April 2021 (PDF, 129kB)
- Minutes, 19 April 2021 (PDF, 155kB)
- Agenda, 8 February 2021 (PDF, 141kB)
- Minutes, 8 February 2021 (PDF, 150kB)
- Agenda, 14 December 2020 (PDF, 59kB)
- Minutes, 14 December 2020 (PDF, 147kB)
- Agenda, 12 November 2020 (PDF, 50kB)
- Minutes, 12 November 2020 (PDF, 139kB)
- Agenda, 12 October 2020 (PDF, 61kB)
- Minutes, 12 October 2020 (PDF, 176kB)
- Agenda, 29 June 2020 (PDF, 64kB)
- Minutes, 29 June 2020 (PDF, 211kB)
- Agenda, 6 April 2020 (PDF, 90kB)
- Minutes, 6 April 2020 (PDF, 133kB)
- Agenda, 24 February 2020 (PDF, 61kB)
- Minutes, 24 February 2020 (PDF, 176kB)
- Agenda, 9 December 2019 (PDF, 102kB)
- Minutes, 9 December 2019 (PDF, 202kB)
- Agenda, 28 October 2019 (PDF, 116kB)
- Minutes, 28 October 2019 (PDF, 235kB)
- Agenda, 10 June 2019 (PDF, 111kB)
- Minutes, 10 June 2019 (PDF, 173kB)
- Agenda, 15 April 2019 (PDF, 120kB)
- Minutes, 15 April 2019 (PDF, 199kB)
- Agenda, 25 February 2019 (PDF, 112kB)
- Minutes, 25 February 2019 (PDF, 165kB)
- Agenda, 10 December 2018 (PDF, 298kB)
- Minutes, 10 December 2018 (PDF, 218kB)
- Agenda, 15 October 2018 (PDF, 290kB)
- Minutes, 15 October 2018 (PDF, 254kB)
University staff can download the papers from previous Senate meetings.