Our open days are popular events bringing thousands of visitors to our main campus in the heart of Bristol. Some of the roads around the campus will be closed to vehicles and parking close by is extremely limited.
We strongly advise you to use public transport to travel to the University.
Please note: our open day park and rides are now full. You can find information about alternative car parking in Bristol here.
Getting to Bristol
There is no parking available at University accommodation or on campus.
A free shuttle bus service operates between the two park and ride locations and the main campus every 10 to 15 minutes throughout the open days.
This service is popular and you must book your parking space in advance; it will not be possible to book at the park and ride on the day.
Please remember to bring your printed permit with you and follow the open day signs when you arrive.
Bristol Parkway train station park and ride
This is red route and the postcode for Sat Nav is BS34 8PU.
- The first bus to campus departs from Parkway at 8.30am.
- The last bus to Bristol Parkway departs from Woodland Road red bus stop at 5pm.
- Please allow up to 90 minutes for parking and travel.
Portway park and ride
This is the green route and the postcode for Sat Nav is BS11 9QE.
- The first bus to campus departs from Portway at 8.30am.
- The last bus to Portway departs from the green bus stop on Woodland Road at 5pm.
- Please allow 60 minutes for parking and travel.
If you are travelling on the open days outside of the hours that our shuttle buses are running, you may travel for free by showing your open day booking letter on the following First bus services: 1, 2, 3, 4, 8, 9, 72, 73.
Bristol has two mainline railway stations. Bristol Temple Meads is two miles from the University and closer than Bristol Parkway.
There are hourly trains from London Paddington to Bristol. The journey takes around 1 hour 40 minutes.
A free shuttle bus service runs from Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Parkway to the main campus throughout the open day. The service runs every 10 to 15 minutes from 8.30am. The last shuttle bus to Temple Meads departs from Woodland Road purple bus stop at 5pm.
The Bristol Parkway shuttle bus service (red route) also serves visitors using our free park and ride - full details are above.
Please be aware that these service are very popular and we recommend allowing at least one hour for the journey each way.
Train travel discounts are available.
If you are travelling to the main University campus by taxi, the drop-off point is on St Michael's Park Road just before the entrance to Osborne Villa and the University Day Nursery.
National Express and other coach/bus operators run direct services to Bristol from most UK cities.
Bristol Bus and Coach Station is on Marlborough Street in the centre of Bristol, near to the University.
You can take a taxi to the University from outside the bus station or walk, which will take about 15 minutes and involves an uphill climb.
Bristol Airport has direct flights from a number of European destinations and has connecting flights (eg. via Paris or Amsterdam) from many more cities worldwide.
The airport is around eight miles (13 km) south of the city. The Airport Flyer Express bus (service A1) runs approximately every ten minutes at peak times between the airport and Bristol Temple Meads and Bristol Bus and Coach Station.
Please allow at least 90 minutes to get from the airport to the main University campus.
There is a direct National Express coach service between London Heathrow and Bristol.
Alternatively, you can take the Heathrow Express to London Paddington and a train from Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads station.
Langford veterinary campus
The Bristol Veterinary School is in the village of Langford, North Somerset, 14 miles south-west of Bristol.
If you are travelling between the main University campus and Langford campus please allow about one hour for the journey.
Free shuttle bus to Langford
Free shuttle buses run between the main University campus and Langford every 30 minutes during the open days.
- The first bus departs from the orange bus stop on Woodland Road at 9.15am.
- The last bus departs from the orange bus stop on Woodland Road at 3.15pm.
- The first bus departs from Langford at 10am.
- The last bus departs Langford at 4pm.
Car parking at Langford
There is car parking at Langford. For sat nav users the postcode for Langford is BS40 5DU. Visitors are not permitted to bring dogs to the Langford campus.
North Residential Village (Stoke Bishop) accommodation
There is no parking for visitors at our Stoke Bishop residences; please use the free shuttle bus from the main campus.
- Buses depart from the blue bus stop on Woodland Road every 10 to 15 minutes from 9.30am.
- The last bus to Stoke Bishop departs campus at 3pm.
- The last return bus to campus departs at 4 pm.
Please allow 90 minutes for a round trip to Stoke Bishop.
Where to stay
Victoria Square Hotel
29-30 Victoria Square, Bristol, BS8 4EW
Free breakfast available (worth £9.95), quote BRISTOL UNI OPEN DAY when making a direct reservation on +44 (0)117 973 9058 or by emailing email@example.com.
Clifton Hotels Group
Enjoy 10 per cent discount off the best available rates when staying with Clifton Hotels Group. Quote 'UOBOPENDAY' when booking online at any of the following properties:
September open day 2019
Book your place now for our open day on Saturday 7 September.
If you have any questions about our open days, please contact the Recruitment Events team:
Your September open day programme (PDF, 3,990kB) contains a campus map and information about travel.
You can view more maps, including a selection of printable maps showing walking routes, on the University maps and travel site.
To access discounted train travel to the event via Great Western Railway, please use the booking button below.
Travel discounts will apply for seven days either side of the event.
Terms and conditions
1. The Open Days GWR travel offer is only available for travel on GWR services. If travelling from or within a region of the country that is not part of the GWR network you may need to purchase separate tickets to the chosen destination.
2. Bristol Temple Meads must be selected as the destination when booking to attend a University of Bristol event.
3. Origin of journey must be within the GWR network, but please note that Advance Purchase tickets are not available for short distance journeys.
4. The scheme is only available for use with Advance Purchase tickets. These set times and dates of travel and are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.
5. The Open Days GWR travel offer is available for the dates provided by each university and the week that the event takes place, running Saturday to the next Sunday. So stay for more than a day to get a feel for the local scene.
6. The scheme is combinable with the 16 – 25 Railcard, which is also available to mature students, and increases the discount to 50 per cent. Simply tick the box on the page by “Passengers” and select from the drop-down box. The discount scheme is only compatible with the 16-25 railcard. Separate bookings may be required if more than 2 people are travelling.
7. The URL is unique to your university and cannot be used for destinations other than specified.
Q. What is an ‘Advanced Purchase Ticket’?
A. ‘Advance Purchase’ refers to a ticket that can be purchased up to 18:00 (6 pm) the day before travel, subject to availability. Once purchased, it is non-flexible (i.e. unable to change times or dates travel) and non-refundable.
Q. I cannot see the discounted fare.
A. ‘Advance Purchase’ for the student fare are denoted by a small cross against the ticket price. If there is no red cross shown, then the advance purchase fare for that day may have sold out. Once the discounted fare has been chosen an asterisk ‘*’ will be displayed underneath the fares section.
Q. The link to the booking page does not work. Where can I get assistance?
A. You may need to update your internet browser, we advise using Google Chrome or Firefox. There may be a need to clear your ‘cookies’.
Q. I cannot see the promotional fare.
A. Travel is only available on GWR routes, check the entirety of the journey is on GWR. Please also check the booking horizon. Sales open for Advance Purchase 12 weeks before travel.
Q. I still cannot see or book the student discount fare.
A. Please call the GWR call centre for advice on 0345 700 0125, select option 2, and then option 2 again.