MSci Zoology (C303)
View courses for 2017 entry
|Application method||UCAS/Common Application|
|Course duration||4 year(s) full-time|
|Part-time study||Part-time study is not available for this course|
|Number of applications for 2014/15||1040|
|Number of places for 2016/17||220|
About MSci Zoology
The MSci is for students with ambitions to continue in zoological research and who want the extra experience and a competitive edge in applying for PhDs or research jobs.
The first three years are the same as the BSc course, beginning broadly and introducing more choice from year two onwards, but adds a fourth year of advanced skills training and a substantial research project, which is especially valuable for those who know they want a career in zoology.
We have outstanding facilities in our brand new state-of-the-art Life Sciences Building, and our lecturers are top researchers in their fields.
Find out more about studying Biological Sciences at Bristol including career prospects and how the course is taught and assessed.
- Diversity of Life
- Life Processes
- Key Concepts in Biology
- A third unit pertinent to the degree programme
- Quantitative Methods in Biology
- Molecular Methodology for Biologists
- Evolutionary Biology
- Science and Success: writing, speaking and communicating science
- Field Course or laboratory workshop
- Seven additional lecture units, biased towards animal-related topics
- Field Course Report
- Library Project
- Practical Research Project
- Six lecture units from a wide choice across the spectrum of biology
- Professional Development for the Life Sciences
- Understanding Data: Experimental Design and Statistics for Life Scientists
- Research Project Literature Review and Planning
- Practical Research Project.
Typical offer for MSci Zoology
(including international A-levels)
|AAA in at least two science/mathematics subjects*|
(including international A-levels)
|AAB in at least two science/mathematics subjects*|
|IB Diploma||36 overall to include 18 points at Higher Level with 6, 6 in two science/mathematics subjects at Higher Level*|
|34 overall to include 17 points at Higher Level with 6, 5 in two science/mathematics subjects at Higher Level*|
|Cambridge Pre-U||Requirements are as for A-levels, where Grade A* is D2, A is D3, B is M2, and C is M3|
|Access||Pass Access to HE Diploma (Science) with 30 credits at Distinction, including 12 credits in each of two sciences, and 15 credits at Merit|
|BTEC||DDD in Science and grade A in A-level Mathematics or Science|
|SQA||SH: AAAAB and AH: AA in at least two science/mathematics subjects*|
|Welsh Bacc||Requirements are as for A-levels where you can substitute the same non-subject specific grade for the Welsh Baccalaureate Advanced Level Core grade|
|EB||85% overall with 8.5 in science/mathematics subjects*|
|International qualifications||Qualifications, scholarships and local information sources for your country|
|English language requirements||Profile E
Further information about English language requirements
|Subjects required at GCSE or equivalent:||B or above in Mathematics, English Language and Science.|
|Academic qualifications||*Suitable science/mathematics subjects: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, Botany, Statistics and Zoology, Psychology, Environmental Studies, Geology, Geography, Further Mathematics, Other Mathematics, Human Biology, Engineering and Electronics.|
More entry information
Get in touch
For questions regarding study and admission contact:
Phone: +44 (0)117 394 1639
For information on tuition fees, living costs and financial support, visit fees and funding.
Find out more about becoming a student at Bristol, and the support we offer to international students.
Key information about this course
Did you know?
- Students from more than 180 countries study with us, and we share more than 150 exchange links with institutions worldwide.
- Our Students' Union has over 300 student-run societies and sports clubs. The Richmond Building, home to the Students' Union, recently underwent a £30-million renovation.
- 12 Bristol graduates and members of staff have been awarded Nobel prizes.
Important disclaimer information about our courses.