Applying to Access to Bristol
Access to Bristol is designed to support and encourage local students, who have the grades, motivation and potential to succeed at a Russell Group university.
Access to Bristol brochure 2019/20
Download the 2019/20 Access to Bristol brochure (PDF, 3,081kB) for more information.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for Access to Bristol 2020/21, you can fill in this form to receive an email reminder when applications open in September 2020.
Who can apply?
To apply you must:
- be in your first or second year of A-level study (or equivalent, with the exception of the Pathways to Health Sciences programme, which is an eighteen-month programme, and therefore is open only to students in Year 12 or students undertaking an Access to HE course);
- be resident in a BA, BS or other local postcode within an hour’s journey of the University of Bristol (this includes South Wales);
- attend a state school or college.
The scheme is very popular and there is high demand for places. If a subject stream is oversubscribed, we will give priority to those who meet all or most of the following criteria:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (meeting the GCSE entry requirements for their chosen subject stream);
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university;
- live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile';
- attend an aspiring state school or college;
- are or have been eligible for free school meals;
- have spent three or more months in local authority care;
- be considered a mature student (over 21 years old when you will begin your degree).
Timeline and term dates
Access to Bristol sessions take place on Wednesday afternoons from 2 pm to 4:30 pm during term time.
We recommend that you discuss your application to the programme with your head of sixth form / college. You will need permission from your school or college to attend the sessions and we ask for a contact at your school on your application form.
If you have any questions, or need any assistance with the application form, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your query relates to our Pathways to Health Sciences scheme, please get in touch at email@example.com.