Applying to Access to Bristol
Access to Bristol is designed to support and encourage local students, who have the grades, motivation and potential to succeed at a Russell Group university.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying for Access to Bristol 2020/21, you can fill in this form to receive an email reminder when applications open in September 2020.
Who can apply?
To apply you must:
- be in your first or second year of A-level study (or equivalent, with the exception of the Pathways to Health Sciences programme, which is an extended programme, and therefore is open only to students in Year 12 or students undertaking an Access to HE course);
- be resident in a BA, BS or other local postcode within an hour’s journey of the University of Bristol (this includes South Wales);
- attend a state school or college.
The scheme is very popular and there is high demand for places. If a subject stream is oversubscribed, we will give priority to those who meet all or most of the following criteria:
- have the academic ability to study at the University of Bristol (meeting the GCSE entry requirements for their chosen subject stream);
- are part of the first generation in their family to go to university;
- live in an area of low participation in higher education as defined by POLAR4, which is a score of 1 or 2 for the category 'POLAR4 young participation quintile';
- are a BAME (Black, Asian, & Minority Ethnic) student;
- attend an aspiring state school or college;
- are or have been eligible for free school meals;
- have spent three or more months in local authority care;
- are currently an estranged student;
- be considered a mature student (over 21 years old when you will begin your degree).
Timeline and term dates
Access to Bristol sessions take place on Wednesday afternoons from 2 pm to 4:30 pm during term time.
We recommend that you discuss your application to the programme with your head of sixth form/college. You will need permission from your school or college to attend the sessions and we ask for a contact at your school on your application form.
If you have any questions, or need any assistance with the application form, please get in touch at email@example.com.
If your query relates to our Pathways to Health Sciences scheme, please get in touch at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in Medicine, Dentistry or Vet Science?
If you are a Year 12 or Access to HE student interested in studying Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science, you may be interested in our eighteen-month Pathways to Health Sciences outreach programme.