Sexual orientation and gender identity
- The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) is an online asexual community and archive of resources on asexuality.
- The Mix offers advice and information on all aspects of sexuality and relationships.
- Gay men's health charity (GMFA), have lots of information on sex and sexual health.
- the Beaumont Society is a national self help body run by and for the transgender community.
- Galop is an LGBT+ anti-violence charity to support anyone LGBT who has experienced hate crime, domestic violence or sexual violence.
- Rainbow Pilgrims is an online exhibition about the experience of marginalisation by the LGBTQI community.
- Report and Support is a University tool where you can report incidents of harrassment, assault and discrimination and get advice.
Videos, films and talks
Watch Rewriting the rules, a TED talk by Dr. Meg-John Barker.
A short film about asexuality.
Support groups (face-to-face and online)
- Gendered Intelligence provide a support group in Bristol for anyone under 21 who identifies as trans, non-binary, gender variant and questioning.
- Our Students' Union LGBT+ society offer a support group to students who identify as LGBTQ+.
- Off the Record run the 'Freedom' support group for anyone questioning their sexuality or gender.
- You can find out about trans support groups worldwide.
- LGBT Bristol provide suppotrt to help LGBT people feel involved in their community.
- Bristol Mind run a MindLine Trans+ helpline a safe place to talk about your feelings confidentially. Tel: 0300 330 5468.
- The LGBT Foundation have a helpline to discuss any aspects of sexual or gender identity. Tel: 0345 3 30 30 30, 9am until 9pm Monday to Friday, and 10am until 6pm Saturday
- Switchboard is a national LGBT+helpline. Tel: 0300 330 0630, 10am-10pm every day.
- Families and Friends of Lesbians And Gays (FFLAG) is a national voluntary organisation and registered charity dedicated to supporting parents and their lesbian, gay and bisexual daughters and sons. Tel: Tel: 0845 652 0311.
- Pink Therapy provide a list of UK therapits of all sexualities and gender identities who work with gender and sexual diversity clients across the LGBTIQ spectrum from a non-judgmental standpoint.https://transsupportgroups.com/
- If you have experienced any kind of abuse or discrimination as a student, you may wish to use the report and support tool to get help.
External support in Bristol
Find out what other external support is available in Bristol.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall helps you to get support, take control and feel better when you are anxious, low or not coping.
The online service is free, available 24/7 and completely anonymous.
- Chat to other members who may be experiencing the same things as you
- Access a range of tools to help you self-manage
- Set goals and track progress
- Access articles, videos and online courses.