Sex, pregnancy and relationships
- The Mix provides information and advice about a range of topics including sex and relationships.
- The Gay Men's Health Charity (GMFA) provide information about sex and sexual health.
- Your relationship matters provides support and advice on all aspects of relationships.
- Best Practice in Sexual Health (BISH) gives sex and relationships advice online.
- NHS choices, Sex and young people provides information and advice about sexual relationships.
- The Terrence Higgins Trust heave a wealth of information about sexual health.
- Lovesmart is an online tool to help with relationship issues.
- The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN) is an online asexual community and archive of resources on asexuality.
Videos, films and talks
Watch 'Rewriting the rules', a Ted talk by Dr Meg-John Barker.
Consent it's simple as tea a film about understanding consensual sex.
Blogs and vlogs
Relate's blog contains posts about a wide range of relationship topics.
- Our Students' Union Just Ask service provide leaflets on family, relationships and sex.
- Mind provide information on supporting others with a mental health difficulty.
- An NHS downloadable leaflet about postnatal depression.
- Nagoski, E. (2015). Come as you are: The Surprising New Science That Will Transform Your Sex Life. Scribe UK.
- Johnson, S. (2011). Hold Me Tight: Your Guide to the Most Successful Approach to Building Loving Relationships. Piatkus.
- Silverstein, C. & Picano, F. (2004). The Joy of Gay Sex. Harper Collins.
- Rosenberg, M. (2015). Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life.
- Newman, F. (2004). The Whole Lesbian Sex Book: A Passionate Guide for All of Us. Cleis Press.
- Clunis, M. & Green, D. (2005). Lesbian Couples: A Guide to Creating Healthy Relationships. Seal Press.
Support groups and services (face-to-face and online)
- Relate provide support with relationships between you and family, partners, friends and colleagues.
- Our Students' Union Just Ask service is available to talk to.
- Brook Advisory Centres provide sexual health and wellbeing services, advice and support for under 25s.
- The British Pregnancy Advisory Service offers a range of sexual healthcare services.
- Marie Stopes provide reproductive and sexual health services.
- Our Students' Union LGBT+ society offer a support group to students who identify as LGBTQ+.
- The Miscarriage Association provide support and information to anyone affected by miscarriage, ectopic pregnancy or molar pregnancy.
- Nightline is a listening and information service run by students for students.
It is available every night of term from 8pm to 8am. Phone: +44 (0)117 926 6266
- Ask Brook an online tool available 24/7 to answer whatever question you might have about your sexual health or relationships.
- The Miscarriage Association provide a helpline, Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm. Tel: +44 (0)1924 200799.
- Bristol Mind run a MindLine Trans+ helpline a safe place to talk about your feelings confidentially. Tel: 0300 330 5468.
- You may wish to consider visiting your doctor to talk about any issue surrounding your sexual health, relationships and pregnancy.
- There is a range of support in the university if you need to talk about the issues affecting you.
- VitaMinds offer a free course in stress management and provide relationship counselling.
- CORST (the College of Sexual and Relationship Therapy) is the UK’s leading organisation for therapists specialising in sexual and relationship issues. They have a list of therapists specialising in sex and relationship therapy.
- Off The Record provide 1-1 counselling and group support including a specialist LGBTQ+ service for anyone up to the age of 25.
External support in Bristol
Find out what other external support is available in Bristol.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall helps you to get support, take control and feel better when you are anxious, low or not coping.
The online service is free, available 24/7 and completely anonymous.
- Chat to other members who may be experiencing the same things as you
- Access a range of tools to help you self-manage
- Set goals and track progress
- Access articles, videos and online courses.