Relaxation and stress management
- The Mental Health Foundation provide resources to help you manage stress.
- Get self-help information and resources about stress.
- NHS choices provides information about stress.
- The Chinese Mental Health Association specialises in providing community based mental health assistance and support to the Chinese community in the UK.
- Relax melodies provides sounds to help you relax and get off to sleep. Available for Apple and Android devices.
- Calm is a free meditation app designed to help you feel more relaxed.
- Headspace is an app with meditations. The first 10 days is free.
Videos, films and talks
A simple set of Tai chi exercises to help you relax and sleep better.
Howard Napper talks about managing the stressful mind.
7 minute yoga exercise for stress relief.
Podcasts and audio downloads
- Mental health Foundation wellbeing podcasts.
- Mindfulness for students contains some downloadable podcasts that can help to manage stress.
- NHS Choices have a range of audio downloads to help you manage your wellbeing.
Futurelearn offer a free online mindfulness course to help manage stress.
Blogs and vlogs
- Mind leaflets about stress.
- NHS Northumberland leaflet about stress.
- Minding your head downloadable booklet about stress management.
- Williams, C. (2012). 'Overcoming anxiety stress and panic – a five areas approach'. CRC Press.
- Davis, M et.al. (2008). 'The Relaxation and Stress Workbook'. New Harbinger.
Support groups (face-to-face and online)
- Elefriends is an online supportive community run by the mental health charity Mind.
- Big White Wall is an anonymous online resource with free access for Bristol University students.
- If stress is having a big impact on your life and work then you may wish to see your doctor to discuss what might help.
- VitaMinds offer a free course in stress management.
- Hypnotherapy can be beneficial for managing stress. The Hypnotherapy Directory lists the qualified practitioners in your local area.
External support in Bristol
Find out what other external support is available in Bristol.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall helps you to get support, take control and feel better when you are anxious, low or not coping.
The online service is free, available 24/7 and completely anonymous.
- Chat to other members who may be experiencing the same things as you
- Access a range of tools to help you self-manage
- Set goals and track progress
- Access articles, videos and online courses.