Bereavement and loss
- Cruse Bereavement Care is a national charity supporting people who are bereaved.
- Support after suicide offers information and support for anyone affected by suicide.
- NHS Choices has information about bereavement.
- What's your grief resources and discussion about grief.
- The good grief trust support and resources by others who have been bereaved.
- Child bereavement UK for young people who are experiencing grief.
- Calm to help you manage your mood in the grief process with meditation.
Videos, films and talks
The Loss Foundation have a short video describing stages of grief.
Podcasts and audio downloads
- After losing her mum to Breast Cancer, Laura talks about how she channelled her grief through creative expression.
- The Mental health Foundation have a number of podcasts to support your wellbeing.
Blogs and vlogs
- Read The Hope again message board if you are are dealing with bereavement.
- Read the Student minds blog about bereavement.
- The NHS Northumberland Tyne and Wear website contains a downloadable leaflet about bereavement.
- The Royal College of Psychiatrists have a downloadable leaflet about bereavement that can be translated into several languages.
- Help is at hand is a downloadable leaflet to support anyone bereaved by suicide.
- Lewis, C. S. (2013). 'A grief observed'. Faber & Faber.
- Ironside, V. (1997). 'You'll get over it: the rage of bereavement'. Penguin.
- Kohn, I. & Moffitt, P.L. (2000) 'A Silent Sorrow: Pregnancy Loss, Guidance and support for you and your family'. Routledge.
- Wallbank, S (1991). 'Facing Grief: Bereavement and the Young Adult', James Clarke & Co. Ltd.
- Abrams, R. (2012) 'When Parents Die'. Routledge.
- Lukas, C. (2007) 'Silent Grief: Living in the Wake of Suicide'. Jessica Kingsley.
Support groups (face-to-face and online)
- The Mix have an online chat forum for young people.
- Big White Wall is an anonymous online resource available to you for free as a Bristol University student.
- Paul's Fund provide respite for young people experiencing bereavement, a life threatening illness or being a carer.
- The Bereavement Trust provide support and practical advice about bereavement. Open from 6pm to10pm every day. Tel: 0800 435 455.
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide (SOBS) for anyone affected by suicide. Tel: 0300 111 5065, 9am to 9pm every day.
- Sands for anyone affected by stillbirth or neonatal death. Tel: 0808 164 3332.
- Nightline is a listening and information service run by students for students.
It is available every night of term from 8pm to 8am. Phone: +44 (0)117 926 6266
External support in Bristol
Find out what other external support is available in Bristol.
Big White Wall
Big White Wall helps you to get support, take control and feel better when you are anxious, low or not coping.
The online service is free, available 24/7 and completely anonymous.
- Chat to other members who may be experiencing the same things as you
- Access a range of tools to help you self-manage
- Set goals and track progress
- Access articles, videos and online courses.