International sponsored students
International sponsored students need to provide the university with a sponsorship letter when registering.
What an international sponsored student is
You are an international sponsored student if you are an overseas fee payer who is funded by an organisation to attend the University of Bristol. This could be to cover part or all of your course or programme fees and/or living costs from one of the following:
- your home government
- the British Council
- an international organisation or company
- an international university
A sponsor is not a family member or friend who has agreed to pay your tuition fees.
What your sponsorship letter needs to include
Your sponsor letter or Financial Guarantee letter (FGL) confirms your sponsor's commitment for funding. This letter must be on official headed paper from your sponsor’s organisation, and must include:
- your name
- your programme or course of study
- the name and contact details of your official financial sponsor
- the official stamp of your official financial sponsor
- the date the letter was issued
- the length of the sponsorship and which academic years it’s valid for
- the amount of sponsorship and breakdown of what it is to be applied to, for example tuition fees and/or bench fees
- that the sponsor will meet the full cost of tuition fees and any additional course/programme
If no breakdown is provided, we will apply the full amount to tuition fees and any remaining to bench fees (if applicable). It is your responsibility to provide this breakdown from your sponsor.
How to provide your Sponsor letter
Email your sponsor letter to International Partnerships and Relations at email@example.com. You must provide your sponsor letter by the deadline given or you will be invoiced for all tuition fees. We will contact you in advance to let you know the deadline date.
You must provide your sponsor letter by the given deadline at the beginning of each academic year. Send your sponsor letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline and details of what to do if you cannot send it by that date will be published on this page over the summer.
Sponsored student responsibilities
- Submit your FGL to email@example.com at the beginning of each academic year before the given deadline. Failure to submit the letter will result in you being liable for the course/programme fees for that year;
- Comply with any requests made by your sponsor. This might include uploading a student status letter, uploading a copy of an invoice or uploading a document to specify other costs.
- We will only invoice your sponsor for costs explicitly mentioned on the FGL. If there are mistakes or corrections needed to your FGL, it is your responsibility to get this corrected and submit a new letter to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- It is your responsibility that your fees are paid by you and/or your sponsor. If your sponsor fails to pay, the debt may be transferred to the you and could prevent graduation.
Student status letters
You may need to submit a student status letter to your sponsor as proof of registration or to confirm your tuition fees (and bench fees if applicable) for the year.
The way to request a letter varies for each faculty. In some faculties you need to email the faculty office, in others you are required to submit a request form or use the online shop.
Make sure you request tuition fees are included in the letter if you need them to be.
Arts, Health Sciences and Life Sciences
Email the faculty office to request a student status letter.
- Health Sciences: email email@example.com
- Arts: contact details
- Life Sciences: contact details
Engineering and Science
Submit a request form.
Social Sciences and Law
Use the online shop.
Financial Guarantee Letters
Please forward your letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Registering for 2020/21
If you are starting your course in January 2021 you must send your sponsor letter to email@example.com as soon as possible. Liability for fees remains with you until we receive your letter.