Endowed lectures

A record of lectures earlier than these can be found in the University Calendars for 1948-49, 1983-85 and 1995.

To assist with finding a fund that is appropriate to your event, please see the list below divided by Faculty area.

Arts

Engineering

Health Sciences

Science

Social Sciences and Law

Cross-subject


Amelia Edwards Lecture in Egyptology

The lecture was established in 1993 by Mr. L. V. Grinsell, sometime Curator in Archaeology at Bristol City Museum and honorary graduate of the University, to commemorate Amelia B. Edwards of Bristol (1831-92), novelist and founder member and first secretary of the Egypt Exploration Society. The endowment provides for an annual lecture in the field of Egyptology.

(Back to top)


Arthur Mannering Tyndall Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1969 by Professor F. C. Frank to commemorate the services of Professor Arthur Mannering Tyndall, Professor of Physics from 1919 to 1948, to the University and to the H. H. Wills Physics Laboratory. The endowment provides for a lecture on some aspect of the physical sciences to be delivered each alternate year.

(Back to top)


Arthur Skemp Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1924 chiefly by subscriptions from the friends and former students of the late Professor Arthur Rowland Skemp, who was Winterstoke Professor of English in the University from 1910 to 1918, and who was killed in action in November, 1918.

The fund provides for an occasional lecture in English Literature.

(Back to top)


Brunel Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1983 by the late Emeritus Professor Sir Alfred Pugsley, Professor of Civil Engineering in the University from 1945 to 1968, and is named after Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The endowment provides for a biennial lecture to be given by an eminent engineer or engineer-scientist on a subject of current interest to the staff and students of the Faculty of Engineering. The lecturer is chosen by the Dean and Professors of the Faculty of Engineering.

(Back to top)


Carey Coombs Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was founded in Memory of the late Dr. Carey Coombs.

(Back to top)


E. H. Young Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1961 under the terms of the will of the late Mr. R. B. Henderson, a Benefactor of the University. The endowment provides for an annual lecture to be given on the subject "Truth is worthy of pursuit for its own sake".

The Lecturer is appointed by the Vice-Chancellor.

(Back to top)


Frederick Creech Jones Bristol History Lecture

The Lectureship was established in 1965 by the widow of Mr. Frederick Creech Jones, the Bristol local historian.

The endowment provides for periodic lectures to be delivered on some aspects of local history.

(Back to top)


George Hare Leonard Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1946 by the widow of the late George Hare Leonard, Professor of Modern History. The endowment provides for an annual lecture in the Fine Arts.

The Lecturer is appointed by Council on the recommendation of Senate.

(Back to top)


Hawkins Memorial Lecture

This lectureship was established in 1992 thanks to a bequest to the Department of Computer Science by the late Walter Anstey Hawkins, a former Chairman and Managing Director of both the Bristol Evening Post and the Bristol United Press, who had a longstanding interest in the development of computers and their application to the newspaper publishing industry. The endowment provides for periodic lectures by distinguished speakers on the influence of computer technology on all aspects of contemporary life.

(Back to top)


John Taylor Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1975 by subscription from friends and colleagues of Mr. John K. Taylor, Research Fellow in Education from 1966 to 1974. The endowment provides for periodic lectures on topics related to the research on Crohn's disease.

(Back to top)


Kenneth Pridie Memorial Lecture

The Lecture was instituted from funds collected by the South West Orthopaedic Club to commemorate the life and work of Kenneth Pridie, Orthopaedic Surgeon, a graduate of the University of Bristol, Lecturer in Surgery in the University, and first Orthopaedic Surgeon in Bristol Royal Infirmary 1936/63.

(Back to top)


Lewis Fry Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1924 by the surviving children of the late The Right Hon. Lewis Fry, P.C. first Chairman of the University Council. The endowment provides for an annual lecture to be given by a scholar of distinction on subjects connected with the Fine Arts, History, Literature, Music, the Drama, Philosophy, Theology or Education.,

(Back to top)


Long Fox Memorial Lecture

The Edward Long Fox Memorial Fund was raised by subscription among the friends of Edward Long Fox, M.D., F.R.C.P. (1832~1902), Physician at the Bristol Royal Infirmary from 1857 to 1877 and Lecturer in the Bristol Medical School from 1869 to 1874. The income from the fund is used mainly to provide an annual lecture on some subject connected with medicine or the allied sciences, to be held at University College, Bristol (later the University of Bristol) and given by a lecturer either selected from Bristol or the neighbourhood or who has been a student or a member of the teaching staff. The first lecture was given by Dr. J. Beddoe in 1904. In 1958 the Trusteeship of the Fund was transferred to the University.

(Back to top)


Loveday Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1946 by subscriptions from colleagues and other friends, to commemorate Dr. Thomas Loveday's valued service as Vice-Chancellor of the University.

The fund provides for an annual lecture on Music, possibly illustrated by a recital, or for a concert of Chamber Music. The income may occasionally be used to defray the cost of a Bishop Butler Lecture upon Christian Ethics.

(Back to top)


Paul Esser Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1972 by friends of the late Paul Esser, a medical student at the University and President of the University Underwater Club, who died while cave-diving in Porth yr Ogof in February 1971.

The endowment provides for an annual lecture on a subject within the general field of water sports or allied activities, particularly swimming, diving, caving, cave-diving, life-saving, underwater medicine, canoeing and mountaineering.

(Back to top)


Read-Tuckwell Lectures

The University received a residuary bequest from Mrs. Tuckwell to establish a Read-Tuckwell Lectureship with the requirement that the lecturer should deliver a course of lectures upon Human Immortality or related topics.

(Back to top)


Sculpture and Architecture: the Perry Bequest

Further provision for art lectures was made in 1944 by the bequest of £1,200 by the late Miss M. P. Perry, for long herself a member of the Art Lectures Committee. The sum was left to the University for the promotion and encouragement of the study of architecture and sculpture in the city of Bristol and in particular to arrange for public lectures on these subjects - the bequest to be administered by the Art Lectures Committee until such time as a Department or Chair for art subjects is founded, when the bequest would be administered by that Department. The lectures are to be followed by a short class, during which the lecturer will answer questions and suggest authorities for reading and essay topics.

(Back to top)


Watson-Williams Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1939 with the proceeds of a legacy from the late Dr. Patrick Watson-Williams, Lecturer in Laryngology, Rhinology and Otology, and until 1961 was delivered every third year. Arrangements were made with the South Western Laryngological Association that, as from 1964, the lecture would be arranged every second year, in conjunction with the Association's clinical meeting.

(Back to top)


Walter Frederick Whittard Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was established in 1969 by subscriptions from friends and former students to commemorate the services of Professor W. F. Whittard as Chaning Wills Professor of Geology from 1937 to 1966. The endowment provides for a lecture on some aspect of the earth sciences to be delivered every second year.

(Back to top)


E. H. W. Wilmott Memorial Lecture

This Lectureship was named after the man who, in 1942, gave the University Ubley Warren Farm, near Charterhouse, on Mendip. As a result of the sale of this farm, a sum of money is provided annually by the Board of Trustees to the School of Veterinary Sciences for the purpose of inviting suitable speakers to deliver one, or more, public lectures on a subject relevant to veterinary science. The Lecturer is nominated by the Board of Veterinary Studies.

(Back to top)


Wilson Baker Visiting Lectureship

The Wilson Baker Visiting Lectureship was founded in 1965 to commemorate the association with the University of Professor Wilson Baker, M.A.. D.Sc., F.R.S., as Alfred Capper Pass Professor of Organic Chemistry during the years 1945~1965. The endowment subscribed by friends and former students provides each year for a distinguished scientist to visit the School of Chemistry and to deliver one or more lectures.

(Back to top)