Collection of external mail from offices in Senate House is between 2 pm and 3 pm.
All internal post needs to be taken directly to the Post Room, Lower Ground Floor, Senate House.
The last processing of post is at 4 pm. Please give us advance notice of any large mailing which is due to be sent out to ensure that it is processed in good time.
If you need any further advice about appropriate services, please contact Brian Carter.
- All post that is sent by either 1st or 2nd class post is done using Royal Mail. They also provide post services for items sent by Airmail, Special Delivery, Recorded Delivery, Airsure and International Signed.
- We have negotiated some new tariffs using Royal Mail. If you are planning some large postings in the future, please let us know and we will look into services available that could save money. Please visit the Royal Mail website for the latest products and services available.
- Parcel Force is used for sending all packages within the UK and provide a very competitive tariff. We are able to send packages up to and including 30kg. They also have 24hr, 48hr and time definite services available, if required. For the latest prices and conditions of service please visit the Parcel Force website.
- We use DHL as our overseas courier service. If you would like to set up an account using your own departmental account, please visit the DHL website, which also provides details on the latest products and services.
- Mailability is used for all of the general international postings. The company has an excellent customer service record and we have no reported problems with mail deliveries. Please visit the Mailability website for further information on products and services provided.
- Please clearly indicate the service required. It is normal practice to send all mail 2nd class, unless otherwise stated.
- Recorded and special delivery items must be ready for franking by 3.30 pm at the very latest.
- All international postings require an Airmail sticker in the top left corner. This is a requirement for postage using Royal Mail and must be used on all overseas postings. Airmail stickers are available from the Post Room on request. Please contact Brian Carter for further information.
- If leaving post on the counter in the Post Room, please clearly state the Department and also a valid Department charge code, if appropriate.
- If using the DHL courier service, please ensure that you address the item correctly and include a valid contact number for the recipient; otherwise they will be unable to deliver the item. They are not able to deliver to PO Boxes.
For details on current letter and parcel rates, please see the following information on postal rates (Word, 40kb), which includes rates for Parcel Force.
Price in proportion
This is the Royal Mail pricing system that takes into account both the weight and the size of the item you are posting. Therefore, when sending mail you need to ensure that it is sent in an appropriate size envelope. The cost of sending an incorrect envelope size can be as much as £1 per item and if sending a large amount of mail this can mean a substantial sum of money.
Please see the reference guide from Royal Mail on price in proportion for further guidance and advice, or contact Brian Carter.
(Back to top)