An honorary degree is one of higher education's most significant accolades. Each year, following very careful consideration, the University bestows a number of honorary degrees on distinguished individuals who merit special recognition for outstanding achievement and distinction in a field or activity consonant with the mission of the University. The people concerned receive their degrees at one of the two degree congregations held in January and July of each year in the Great Hall of the Wills Memorial Building. During the ceremony an oration is delivered in commendation of each Honorary Graduand.
The awarding of an honorary degree to an individual is recommended by the Honorary Degrees Committee and approved by Senate and Council.
Full details on the most recent honorary graduates from the January 2013 ceremonies are available.
Honorary graduands - July 2013 Graduation ceremonies:
Friday 12 July
- 11 am: Tony Juniper (DSc)
- 2 pm: Roger Holmes (LLD)
- 4.45 pm: Professor David Townsend (DSc)
Monday 15 July
- 11.15 am: Professor Lynn Gladden, CBE, FRS (DSc)
- 2.30 pm: Professor Dame Carol Robinson, FRS (DSc)
Tuesday 16 July
- 11.15 am: Dr Anthony Falconer (DSc)
- 2.30 pm: Dr Roger Pettman (DSc)
Wednesday 17 July
- 11.15 am: Professor Joe Brownlie, CBE (DSc)
- 2.30 pm: James Landale (LLD)
Thursday 18 July
- 11.15 am: Professor David Feldman, FBA (LLD)
- 2.30 pm: No honorary
Friday 19 July
- 11.15 am: Laura Tomlinson (nee Bechtolsheimer), MBE (LLD)
- 2.30 pm: Andrew Hilton (DLitt)
January 2013 Graduation