We have a large range of instruments available for our students to use.
- A fine, mechanical action 13-stop chamber organ, with two manuals and pedals, built by William Drake (1996).
- A new, three-manual and pedal, digital organ from the Veritas Organ Company, generously donated by its designer Graham Blyth (2011).
- Organists may also use the organ in the Great Hall of the Wills Memorial Building: a three-manual (four divisions) and pedal organ last rebuilt by Nicholsons in the 1960s but presently maintained by Harrisons of Durham.
- There are grand pianos by Steinway (a Model D in the Auditorium), Yamaha (Auditorium and Recital Room), Bösendorfer, Petrov and Estonia as well as smaller models in some practice rooms.
- Other practice rooms have upright pianos, including six new high-quality Yamahas purchased in 2010 thanks to a generous legacy from the late Christopher Stunt.
- A Goble copy of a single manual Fleischer of c.1720 (as played by J. S. Bach).
- A Colin Booth single manual, a copy of a late Renaissance harpsichord.
A Yamaha, four-octave celesta.
We own a range of non-standard wind instruments for the use of performers in the various ensembles, including:
- an alto flute;
- two Cors Anglais;
- two E-flat clarinets;
- two bass clarinets (one of them a Buffet Prestige, with extended low range);
- an Amati contrabassoon;
- a set of four Wagner Tubas.
We have a comprehensive range of orchestral percussion instruments, including:
- two xylophones;
- two vibraphones;
- 4.3 octave Condor concert Marimba;
- two sets of pedal timpani, including a new set of five Majestic copper-bowl timpani.
We hold a collection of early instruments including:
- a baroque string quartet;
- a chest of viols;
- a lute.