Your subject librarian
Tel: +44 (0)117 3315417 | Internal 15417 (Engineering)
Tel: +44 (0)117 9287578 | Internal 87578 (Physics)
Contact me if you would like some advice. I can help you to:
Key subject resources
- ASTM Compass - formerly ASTM International Standards & Engineering Digital Library, a collection of industry-leading standards and technical engineering information created by the world's top technical experts and business professionals from 135 countries.
- British Standards Online (BSOL) - authoritative and current bibliographic citation and full text database of standards and publications for British Standards Institution publications.
Please note: use of this resource is limited to 3 concurrent users. The University of Bristol has a subscription to the Construction In General and Civil Engineering modules. These represent over 2,500 full-text standards and include all Eurocodes. On the BSOL web site accessible, full-text standards are denoted with a 'view document' icon.
- Compendex - comprehensive interdisciplinary engineering database.
- Derwent Innovations Index on Web of Science - provides access to more than 20 million patents in three broad areas: Chemical, Engineering, and Electrical & Electronic; with links to cited and citing patents, relevant literature, and full-text patent data sources.
- ESDU Validated Engineering Data - provides validated design data, methods and software for engineers.
- Scopus - large abstract and citation database of peer-reviewed literature, including: scientific journals, books and conference proceedings across the fields of science, technology, Medicine, social sciences, and arts and humanities.
Skills and training
Your subject librarian will provide a programme of lectures and training on library and information skills, in consultation with your department or school.
A number of guides and video tutorials on searching databases will be available soon. In the meantime please contact your subject librarian if you require any help.
- Study support
- Library video tutorials - topics include: how to locate books and journals; understanding references on reading lists.
- Finding and using information - covering key aspects of information skills, including: researching a topic; effective use of Google; evaluating your search results; avoiding plagiarism.
- Referencing using EndNote
If there is a book you would like us to buy, please fill out the form.