The Centre for Health, Law and Society is committed to sharing expertise and promoting collaboration between health law scholarship and practice. We work with external partners in the generation of our research and inform policy and practice through external appointments and engagement. Centre colleagues activities include committee and board memberships, advisory positions and governance roles.
- Member of the BMJ Ethics Committee
- Founder-member of the UK Faculty of Public Health's Ethics Committee
- Honorary Member of the Faculty of Public Health
- Author, with Dr A.M. Viens, of "Public Health Ethics in Practice - a background paper on public health ethics for the UK Public Health Skills and Knowledge Framework" (Public Health England, 2017)
- Expert member of Care Quality Commission Mental Health Act Advisory Group (2015 – present)
- Invited to contribute and respond to the Law Commission’s Consultation on Mental Capacity and the Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards, 2017. Law Com No 372.
- Commissioned in 2012 to conduct an international comparative review and advise the Care Quality Commission on monitoring methodology in mental health detention (with Professor Rachel Murray, Human Rights Implementation Centre)
- The Independent Ethics and Governance Council of UK Biobank (2011 – Present)
- Research Ethics Committee of British Pregnancy Advisory Service (2016 – Present)
- The Royal College of Obstetrician and Gynaecologists’ Faculty of Sexual and Reproductive Health Ad Hoc Advisory Group on Conscientious Objection (2014 – 2016)
- Medical Ethics Committee of the Royal College of General Practitioners (2011 – 2016)
- Labour Women Ireland: Advice on Abortion Law Reform in the Republic of Ireland (2014 - 2015) - See Mairead Enright et al ‘General Scheme of Access to Abortion Bill 2015’ (2015) 5 Feminists@law
- The working group convened by the Declaration of Istanbul Custodian Group exploring the subject ‘organ tourism’ (2013 – 2015)