Italian at Bristol has an international reputation for world-leading research in cultural studies, spanning the Middle Ages to the present day. We are a vibrant and innovative interdisciplinary research community of academic staff, postgraduates, and postdoctoral fellows.
- Dante and early lyric poetry: modern literary appropriations of Dante.
- History of radical psychiatry: memory studies; the history and culture of sport; Milan since the war; political deportation.
- Theories of inter-cultural contact: the representation of colonialism and post-colonial legacies; travel writing in interwar Italian culture; the representation of Islam and the Islamic world in contemporary Italian society and culture.
- Italian popular cinema: stars and performance; the reception of Italian film in post-war culture; aesthetic exchange between Hollywood and Europe; masculinity studies.
- Late twentieth-century Italian culture: representations of Italy’s experience of political violence and terrorism in the anni di piombo; postmodernism and the Italian novel; women and violence.
- Medieval and Renaissance Italian literature and culture: the reception of Boccaccio; manuscript and print culture; histories of reading; artists’ books, gender and culture in fifteenth-century Florence.
- Naples in the cultural imaginary
- Syntax of the dialects of Italy: both early and modern; the current sociolinguistic situation in Italy; the question of minority languages.
- Translation studies
Italian in Bristol is the home of major externally-funded research projects, including:
- 'Transnationalizing Modern Languages: Mobility, Identity and Translation in Modern Italian Cultures', AHRC funded, 2014-17.
- ‘In Search of Italian Cinema Audiences in the 1940s and 1950s: Gender, Genre and National Identity’, AHRC funded, 2013-16.
- 'Franco Basaglia and Mental Health Reform in Italy, 1960-2009’, Wellcome Trust funded, 2010.
- 'The Renaissance Decameron', AHRC funded, 2014-16.
- 'Women, work and value', AHRC funded.
Find out more about
Darius Barik, Year Abroad student 2012-13."Peering from Italy's Shadows" Bologna, Italy.
Research in the faculty
Our research forms part of the overall research actis and strategies of the Faculty of Arts.