Dr Mark Jackson's keynote lecture warmly received at international conference 20 April 2018 On the 13th of April 2018, Mark Jackson presented the invited keynote lecture to the ‘2nd International Conference on Postcolonial Theory and Practice in the 21st Century’.
- Dr Mark Jackson's keynote lecture warmly received at international conference 20 April 2018 On the 13th of April 2018, Mark Jackson presented the invited keynote lecture to the ‘2nd International Conference on Postcolonial Theory and Practice in the 21st Century’.
- Funded PhD studentship/Graduate Teaching Assistant (PGTA) position in Human Geography 29 March 2018 The School of Geographical Sciences, University of Bristol has a Postgraduate Teaching Assistant position in Human Geography to fill for 2018/19 entry, with an anticipated start date of 01 September 2018. The School is consistently ranked as top in the UK in terms of the amount of research its staff produce which is deemed "world class". It has a vibrant and expanding Graduate School of some 150+ PhD and MSc students.
- Prof Paul Valdes signs MOU with Xishuangbanna Tropical Botanical Gardens 26 October 2017 Dr Alex Farnsworth, Dr Jan Peter (JP) Mayser, Professor Dan Lunt and Professor Paul Valdes are currently in the Yunnan province in S.W China doing field work related to their research project investigating the role of climate and Tibetan uplift in the evolution of the high biodiversity in the region.
- Dr Gwilym Owen wins Best Doctoral Research Theses prize 2016/17 23 October 2017 Former PhD student, Dr Gwilym Owen has been awarded the Best Postdoctoral Research Theses prize for 2016/17 for the Faculty of Social Sciences and Law. His thesis entitled ‘New methods, measurements and data in health geography: a study of obesity’ was supervised by Professor Rich Harris.
- Prof Rich Harris conferred as Fellow of Academy of Social Sciences 13 October 2017 We are pleased to announce that Professor Rich Harris has been conferred as a Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences
- MScR student Leanne Archer receives Hydrological studentship award 11 October 2017 MScR student Leanne Archer has been awarded the British Hydrological Society/JBA Trust/Environment Agency Studentship Award for 2017 for her research that focused on modelling flood risk in Fiji using TanDEM-X data under present and future climate change.
- First year Geography student to represent Great Britain 5 October 2017 Isabel Davies, one of our first year geographers, is jetting off to Australia this Christmas to represent Great Britain in the 420 Sailing World Championships.
- Bristol Geography named 'leader in subject' in Good University Guide 28 September 2017 In the recently published, Good University Guide 2018 by the Times and Sunday Times, Bristol Geography is specifically mentioned as 'consolidating its position as the leader in its subject'.
- PhD student nominates Students' Health Service GP for Bristol Post Health & Care Award 26 September 2017 While an undergraduate at Bristol, current PhD student Gareth Griffith sought help for depression from the Students' Health Service. He has nominated its Director, Dr Dominique Thompson for a Bristol Post Health & Care Award.
- Pre-sessional success at Tewkesbury 2017 19 September 2017 On Sunday afternoon, 104 new undergraduate students, 10 staff, and 4 postgrad teaching assistants returned from a successful pre-sessional fieldtrip to nearby Tewkesbury in north Gloucestershire. The cohort building trip was enjoyed by all and helped to get our 2017/18 academic year off to an energetic start.