Working part-time

The University of Bristol recommends that full-time undergraduate students work no more than 15 hours per week during term-time, and postgraduate students no more than 20 hours per week, in order to leave sufficient time for academic study.

Finding a job vacancy

The University Careers Service advertises student vacancies through mycareer and offers advice on finding part-time work.

Sponsorship while you study

Some employers offer sponsorship for all or part of a course, such as major national or local employers, and the Armed Forces; local careers offices may also help.

Placements and internships

The Careers Service may be able to help you find a suitable work experience placement or internship.


The government provides guidance on paying tax as a student worker, including advice on tax refunds.

EU students

Students from European Economic Area (EEA) countries do not need permission to work in the UK, but will need to get a National Insurance number before starting employment.

International students

If you are an international student, we recommend that you read the following advice on working while you study:

If you have any queries, please contact the Careers Service or the Student Visa Services.