Initial Teacher Education (ITE) Programmes
|Following the Ofsted inspection in February 2011, the Bristol PGCE was awarded 'Outstanding Provider Status'
Welcome to the ITE Programmes at the University of Bristol
The Graduate School of Education works in partnership with local schools, colleges and academies to deliver three teacher training routes:
The Bristol ITE Model
All ITE partnerships with the University of Bristol aim to prepare student teachers to become inspiring and outstanding subject practitioners in a wide range of state schools and to prepare them for leadership roles in the future.
Our partnerships, which integrate training and education in school and university are committed to contributing to ongoing school improvement and to raising pupil attainment.
In order to achieve our aims, the work of our partnerships is based around supporting the development of critically reflective practitioners. Our perspective on learning is that the education of teachers has three clearly identifiable phases: induction, assimilation and extension. To support this overarching framework, we have clear partnership values which underpin our work:
- School and university staff work in close collaboration on an agreed, integrated, coherent programme which supports our aims
- We develop teachers who are excellent subject specialists
- We develop teachers who are potential leaders in the profession
- We expect our student teachers to go beyond understanding the context of one school or locality
- We develop teachers who use reflection to develop commitment to their own teacher identity
- We value the role that research plays in training and educating teachers because it enables student teachers to see ‘the bigger picture’, work in different contexts and integrate research and practice
- We believe in doing and using research to underpin teacher education at all levels
- We consider it vital that student teachers study for an academic qualification (i.e PGCE) as well as Qualified Teacher Status
- We consider the ITE year as the beginning of the professional learning that teachers will continue throughout their careers
- We value collaborative learning, working with different people in different contexts