Temporary injuries, illness and pregnancy

Temporary injuries, illness and pregnancy are not disabilities, so Disability Services does not support students with these. This includes injuries such as a broken arm or leg, or illnesses such as viral infections. 

If your temporary condition becomes a disability, contact us. This happens when your injury or illness leaves you with a lasting, non-trivial impairment that affects you in your day-to-day life and study.

What you need to do if you have a temporary injury, illness, or are pregnant

There is a range of support available:

Contact the Students’ Health Service

Contact the Students’ Health Service or your own doctor for advice and treatment.

Contact your school

Tell your academic school as soon as possible and discuss the impact it may have on your studies. Be prepared that in some cases you may not be able to carry on as normal. Your school may ask you for evidence of your injury or illness, indicating the likely impact on your studies and how long it may last. If you are not sure who to contact at your academic school, start with your School Disability Coordinator

Consider applying for extenuating circumstances

Extenuating circumstances are events that affect your performance in assessment, and are usually either unforeseen or unpreventable and outside your immediate control. The Bristol Students' Union's Just Ask Service has advice about extenuating circumstances and the process.

Contact the Student Funding Office

The Student Funding Office has a means-tested Financial Assistance Fund, which may be able to help with any additional costs you incur, such as an allowance for taxis if you have a broken leg.

Get help and support

Health and wellbeing can help with academic and student life issues.

What to do if you’re absent during your studies

You may need to complete an absence form, extenuating circumstances form, or obtain a medical certificate. Contact your academic school to find out what you need to do. If you are not sure who to contact at your academic school, start with your School Disability Coordinator

Edit this page