Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs) can cover some of the extra costs you may have because of a disability. DSAs may fund one-to-one support, such as study skills tuition or specialist mentoring. DSAs may also fund specialist equipment and software, and travel costs.

DSAs are grants, not loans, so there is never anything to pay back. DSAs are only available to UK home students, and are not means tested.

We advise all disabled UK home students to apply for DSAs. Apply at the same time as you apply to university. Don’t delay or your support may not be ready when you start. You can read more about DSAs in Student Finance England’s DSAs guide.

Applying for DSAs

If you are from England

Apply for DSAs

If you are not from England

Find information for you UK region and apply:

Students funded by UK Research Councils

If you are a postgraduate student funded by a UK Research Council, you are eligible for DSAs but must contact us to apply.

Students funded by the NHS and NHS secondees

If you are funded by the NHS, you must apply to the NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) for your DSA. Read more about applying for DSAs on an NHS bursary in the NHSBSA DSAs guide.

If you are employed by the NHS and are seconded (transferred temporarily) onto a healthcare course, you can apply for DSA using the normal application process for your region of the UK.

Students on an undergraduate social work bursary

If you’re getting an undergraduate social work bursary, you can apply for DSA using the normal application process for your region of the UK.

Disabled Students' Allowance FAQ

Disability Services has created a Disabled Students Allowance FAQ (PDF, 90kB) to answer some commonly asked questions about applying for DSA.

Edit this page