In July and August requests will usually be completed within 6 working days, because we experience a higher volume of requests, due to Graduation. We will endeavour to complete requests as soon as possible within this time.
Verification of awards, replacement certificates and transcripts for former students (alumni)
On this page:
- Request a verification of your award
- Request a Replacement Certificate
- Request an Academic Transcript
Request a verification of your award
A verification of award confirms:
- name and date of birth
- start and award dates
- graduation date where applicable
The document is printed on headed paper. If the document is sent by post it can be stamped with the University of Bristol embossed seal. It is usually accepted by institutions in place of a certificate. Charges may apply. A full refund will be given if the University is unable to provide a verification for any reason.
Requests are usually completed within 4 working days, although in busy periods they may take longer.
We are digitising our archive paper records, with some of our files sent away for scanning. From Wednesday 25 May, requests for verifications for individuals who graduated before 1992 will be delayed for up to a 2-3 week period.
- Requests for replacement certificates can only be made where the original document has been lost or damaged.
- We do not provide duplicate certificates, or certify or notarise copies of certificates. The Secretary's Office has information about certifying copies and notarisation.
- A request for a replacement certificate is considered as a declaration that the original is lost or damaged.
- Requests for replacement certificates must be made by the former student and will be posted to the address provided on the online order. No third- party requests will be accepted.
- If you have not received your certificate within six months of your graduation and you notify us within this period, you will not be charged for a replacement certificate.
- Certificates cost £50. Payment can be made by credit or debit card through our online shop.
- Requests are usually completed within 4 working days, although in busy periods they may take longer.
- If we cannot provide a replacement certificate for any reason, a full refund will be given.
- Certificates can only be sent by post and cannot be sent electronically, for security reasons.
- Certificates are posted by standard second class mail or you can choose to have the certificate delivered by courier service for an additional cost of £15.
- Certificates can take up to six weeks to arrive in countries outside Europe.
The University reserves the right to refuse to issue a replacement certificate.
Request an academic transcript
Transcripts are produced by faculties, not the Exams Office. If you have any queries about receiving your transcript, contact your faculty office (see below).
An academic transcript is an official document that shows:
- Units taken in each year of study
- Assessment and reassessment (as appropriate) grades for each unit
- Total number of credits gained in each unit taken and in each year of study
- Degree awarded, degree classification and date of award (where applicable)
Transcripts are sent out by schools and faculties and can be provided in sealed envelopes with the University stamp to prove they are authentic.
Contact your faculty
If you have any queries about receiving your transcript, contact your faculty office.
If you have any difficulties using the online shop, please email email@example.com.
We provide a courier service for verifications and replacement certificates (but not for transcripts).