'Ovid in the West Country' Prize-giving 2018 12 December 2018 On Wednesday 5th December 2018, the Bristol Classics Hub hosted a prize-giving event at the Wills Memorial Building for the second annual 'Ovid in the West Country' competition for schools.
- Vacancy for a Postgraduate Student Intern 9 September 2019 Applications are invited for the role of Postgraduate Student Intern for the Bristol Classics Hub. Details of the role are given below. To apply, please email your CV and a short letter of application (no more than one side of A4 or 300 words) detailing your suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline - 5pm Wednesday 18th September
- Launching 'Ovid in the West Country' 2019 8 July 2019 On 3rd July, we held a workshop to introduce secondary English teachers to the format of our annual 'Ovid in the West Country' competition.
- Myths and materials to enhance science capital at KS3: ‘Science of Stories’ in action 2 July 2019 The Science of Stories resource booklet, developed by Dr Genevieve Liveley in collaboration with Classics and Science teachers across the South West, is proving very popular in schools this term.
- Reflecting on 'The Roman Emperor as Egyptian Pharaoh' School Workshops 30 April 2019 This year, Classics PhD student Maiken Mosleth King created a school workshop entitled 'The Roman Emperor as Egyptian Pharaoh'. The aim of this workshop was to supplement the curriculum for students studying GCSE and A-Levels in Classics, Latin or Ancient History. It introduced students to the often-overlooked Roman province of Egypt, and broadened student understanding of how the imperial power was perceived and conceptualised outside Italy. In this article, Maiken reflects on her experiences.
- April 2019 Newsletter 10 April 2019 Welcome to the latest e-newsletter from the Bristol Classics Hub, packed with information about upcoming events, training days, and resources, as well as details of the current workshops we offer and reports of our recent events.
- 100 GCSE and A-Level Students attend the Hub's second annual Classical Civilisation Conference 13 March 2019 On 7 March, the Bristol Classics Hub hosted its second annual GCSE and A-Level Classical Civilisation conference. The programme was tailored to current exam specifications for those studying Classical Civilisation, but was also designed to appeal to those studying Latin, Ancient Greek, Ancient History, or those interested in studying a classical subject at university.
- The Song of Arms and a Man 13 February 2019 The Bristol Classics Hub was delighted to support the second production of ‘The Song of Arms and a Man’, a live retelling of Virgil’s ‘Aeneid’ in the original spoken Latin.
- December 2018 Newsletter 19 December 2018 Welcome to the latest e-newsletter from the Bristol Classics Hub. With Christmas just around the corner, this edition of the newsletter looks forward to Classics events, initiatives, and projects coming up in the New Year, as well as announcing the launch of three new sets of teaching resources.
- 'Ovid in the West Country' Prize-giving 2018 12 December 2018 On Wednesday 5th December 2018, the Bristol Classics Hub hosted a prize-giving event at the Wills Memorial Building for the second annual 'Ovid in the West Country' competition for schools.
- Classics Teach-Meets in Bath and Bristol 30 November 2018 This year we held two Classics Teach-Meets, the first at the Royal High School in Bath on 14th November 2018, and the second at the University of Bristol on 28th November 2018. Both events saw primary and secondary teachers in and around the South West come together to network, share ideas, and relate their experiences of teaching classics to colleagues and peers.