Diabetes and Metabolism
We are a dynamic research group focused on the causes and prediction of type 1 diabetes in children and adults. Improved prediction of diabetes has been a major achievement in our research and we provide state-of-the-art tests for autoantibodies.
We have many ongoing research projects, including
- The Bart’s Oxford (BOX) Family study, the largest family study in the world which has been recruiting in the Oxford region of the UK since 1985.
- Studies of progression to type 1 diabetes.
- Type 1 Diabetes Risk in Adults (T1DRA). A UK general population screening study to identify adults at risk of developing T1D. This project will include the follow up of some islet autoantibody positive ‘at risk’ children previously identified by studies where there is no active follow up.
- A focus on why individuals with T1D also develop other forms of autoimmunity.
- Understanding why children with Down syndrome are at increased risk of autoimmunity.
Head of Group
Professor Kathleen Gillespie
Professor of Molecular Medicine
Learning and Research
Bristol BS10 5NB