Policy, strategy and compliance
Send us your feedback
We are keen to know your views on our sustainability policy. We encourage staff and students to offer suggestions on how we can improve our work. If you would like to offer any additions or changes, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Get Involved pages.
The strategy for a Sustainable University of Bristol
Approved in 2017, the Sustainability Policy 2017-2023 (PDF, 7,887kB) sets out University's commitment to sustainability. 14 key areas are setting the expectations for staff and students around the University and actions that the whole University community can take to be more sustainable. The Sustainability team is currently updating its strategy in line with the revised University of Bristol Vision and Strategy 2030. More information is coming soon.
- Carbon and Water Strategy 2017 (PDF, 567kB)
- Sustainable Travel Strategy (PDF, 109kB)
- Sustainable Food Policy (PDF, 1,668kB)
- Circular Economy Strategy (PDF, 123kB)
- Staff and Student Engagement & Behaviour Change Strategy (PDF, 87kB)
- Responsible Investment 2021 (PDF, 583kB)
- Emissions Discharges and EMS Strategy (PDF, 90kB)
- Space Utilisation Strategy (PDF, 103kB)
- Sustainable Buildings Strategy (PDF, 242kB)
- Living Estate Strategy 2017-2022 (PDF, 230kB)
- Fairtrade Policy (PDF, 184kB)
- Space Temperature Policy (PDF, 202kB)
- Air conditioning agreement (PDF, 83kB)
We continue to make considerable progress towards our strategy goals and we are pleased to present the 2020-21 Annual Report:
For past reports, visit our Annual Report Database.
Reports on investment in Sustainability
Environmental Management System
We have achieved certification to the world’s most recognised environmental management system (EMS) standard: ISO 14001.
ISO 14001 is an international standard that provides a framework for organisations to understand, manage and improve their environmental impacts and performance. It helps us put environmental management at the heart of everything we do, enabling us to achieve success in our sustainability goals.
Download our current ISO14001:2015 certificate:ISO Certificate (PDF, 797kB)
Find out more about our Environmental Management System (ISO 14001:2015)
BREEAM (Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Methodology)
The University has a 'BREEAM Plus' standard which all large projects have to adhere to. You can download the standard here. BREEAM Plus Standard (PDF, 145kB)
We use BREEAM as our framework to drive forward the sustainability agenda in all our building and refurbishment projects. BREEAM is one of the most established accredited assessment tools in terms of measuring how 'environmental' a new building is.
Discover more about some of our BREEAM and SKA-accredited construction projects.