Your responsibilities as a web publisher
Online content must not include illegal, offensive, threatening or harassing material, or anything which can constitute a criminal offence (including breach of copyright). This applies to content across the University websites and social media accounts.
As a web publisher, you must comply with current legislation and University policies.
When creating or editing content, remember that anything you publish will leave an impression on those reading it. It is your responsibility to publish content that gives visitors the best possible impression of the University, by ensuring:
- all information is up-to-date and accurate;
- spelling, grammar and formatting are correct;
- your content is consistently written: use the University house style;
- redirects are used when archiving, moving or renaming sections;
- website errors (eg broken links) and feedback enquiries are dealt with promptly;
- your content is not a duplicate of information published elsewhere on the University web presence
- your content is accessible.
Find out more about writing effective and accessible web content.
An Editorial group is responsible for the operational management of content on the University's website, usually a top-level website, such as bristol.ac.uk/study, its web pages and subsections.
Find out about editorial group responsibilities.
The content management system that you use should not be used to host old pages and media. Doing so contributes to poor performance in the system for all web publishers.
Find out how to keep your website in good shape.
All websites hosted on one of our supported content management systems have a standard web visual identity. It is your responsibility to maintain this identity across your web pages.
If you are not using one of the content management systems, contact us for advice about branding.
Keeping you informed
We include all web publishers in internal mailing lists to give you specific web publisher news, eg when systems are unavailable, or to advertise training opportunities.