International applications

How to apply

Applying through UCAS

You can apply to study at Bristol through Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS).

You can apply for a maximum of five courses using the UCAS form. Apply for medicine, dentistry and veterinary courses through UCAS by 15 October. You can only use four of your five UCAS choices to apply to these courses.

Apply online through UCAS
Our UCAS institution code is BRISL B78.

After you have applied, UCAS will give you a ten-digit personal ID number. You will need this if you contact the University about your application.

Entering your qualifications
Before you submit your UCAS application, make sure you have included:

  • Full details of qualifications you have already taken: include grades/marks for the academic qualifications you've achieved from age 16 (GCSE or equivalent), and any English language qualifications.
  • Full details of the qualifications you are taking: include current studies (name and expected date of examination and major subjects), English language qualifications, and any resits of previous qualifications you expect to take.

If your qualification offers different levels of study, state which subjects you are studying at the higher level, and which at the standard level.

Please refer to the the UCAS guidance on the application process and how to provide your qualification and education details.

When to apply
Find the application deadlines on the UCAS website.

Direct entry courses

These are our direct entry courses. Please apply using these links and not through UCAS:

International Foundation Programme
International Foundation Programme for Dentistry
Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences

Academic technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Students who require a visa and will be studying specific undergraduate science and engineering courses at master's level (MEng or MSci) may need an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) certificate before applying for their visa. There are exemptions from this requirement for nationals of EU/EEA countries, Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, Switzerland and the USA.

You will be sent an email once you have made a response decision; however, you can apply for an ATAS certificate up to nine months before the start date of your course. Early applications are strongly advised as the average processing time is 20 working days, possibly more during peak times.

Once issued, an ATAS certificate is valid for visa application purposes for up to six months. You will need a CAH3 code (PDF, 97kB) and course content details in order to make your application.

Please make sure you use the same passport details in both your ATAS and your visa application. We also advise that you use your full name as it appears in your passport.

International Foundation Programmes

Visit the Centre for Academic Language and Development website to find out how to apply for the International Foundation Programme.

For the International Foundation for Medicine and Dentistry, please visit How to apply

Applying with the help of a representative or agent

We have agreements with representatives and agents around the world. They can help you with your application.

If you apply via a representative or agent, you should use one of those listed on our country-specific pages.

Using a representative does not put your application at any advantage or disadvantage. We consider independent applications on an equal basis.

Applying through VMCAS

You can apply to study our D102 Veterinary Science: Accelerated Graduate Entry course through the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS).

International applicants who already hold or are in the final year of a related science degree are welcome to apply via this route by 15 September. Please refer to the VMCAS guidance on the application process and how to provide your qualification and education details.

As per the guidance for UCAS applicants above, it is important that you ensure all your qualifications (including any in progress) are included in your application.

Apply online through VMCAS

Transferring from another university or college

Find out if you can transfer to a degree course at the University of Bristol from your current university or college of higher education.

Disability support

If you have a disability, please contact Disability Services early in the application process for confidential advice on the support that may be available and how to access it.

Disclosing your disability will not affect your chances of receiving an offer.

Extenuating circumstances

If your education has been significantly disrupted through health or personal problems, disability or specific difficulties with schooling, please send an extenuating circumstances form to our Enquiries Team.

Entry requirements and qualifications

Please read our entry requirements and qualifications information.

UCAS international guides

Download the UCAS guide Apply to study in the UK, available in 14 different languages.

Help with your application

Read the UCAS guidance on filling in your application.

How your application is assessed

Our undergraduate admissions statements provide detailed information on the selection procedures and how your application will be assessed.

We follow a clear set of policies and procedures when dealing with admissions.

After you apply

Find out what happens after you apply.

Edit this page