The University of Bristol is committed to the diversification of our postgraduate student body. We recognise the value of a varied cohort and want to encourage people from a range of backgrounds to apply for postgraduate study with us.
Summer research opportunities
Each year we provide promising undergraduates from underrepresented groups with hands-on experience of research during the summer holidays. This is a fantastic opportunity to find out more about further study and a career in research.
Applications are currently open for:
Access Postgrad scheme
As a prospective postgraduate student, you may have reservations about the time, skills and resources needed to access postgraduate study. The Access Postgrad scheme provides peer mentoring and skills development sessions to help current University of Bristol undergraduates decide whether postgraduate study is right for them.
We anticipate Access Postgrad to start in January 2021 with all participants due to complete by May 2021.
Access Postgrad is able to offer 10 participants up to £5,000 fee waiver towards your postgraduate taught tuition fees for study commencing in September 2021. To be considered for the funding you must be in your final year of undergraduate study at the University of Bristol, be a home fee paying student and complete the Access Postgrad scheme. All applications to Access Postgrad who meet these requirements will be considered for the funding and will be assessed and scored using the selection criteria. For further information on the terms and conditions of this funding award, please see here.
In addition to the 10 funded places, we will be recruiting 20 non-funded participants who will benefit from the mentor scheme and skills development sessions. Applicants who are in their second and final year of postgraduate study are eligible to apply.
How to apply
To be considered for the Access Postgrad scheme you need to:
- Be a current undergraduate student at the University of Bristol and be on track to graduate in Sept 21 or Sept 22
- Be a home-fee paying student
- Be interested in studying at postgraduate taught level with us in the future
- UK Refugee status
- Parental/guardian education
- Financial need
- Dependents/caring responsibilities
- Experience being in care
- Participation in an undergraduate access/widening participation programme
- Programme of interest at postgraduate taught level
- Statement in application form
If you are interested in applying, please complete our application form. The application form will open on 30 October and close on 27 November 2020.
For further information on the scheme, please email the Postgraduate Recruitment team: email@example.com
The programme will consist of peer mentoring with a current postgraduate student and skills development sessions.
Previous skills development sessions have covered the following topics:
- How to apply and fund your postgraduate study.
- Advice on writing a personal statement for your programme of interest and networking with academic and School staff.
- Study skills at postgraduate level, highlighting the main differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study and what resources are available as a postgraduate student.
- Careers support and advice demonstrating the value of a postgraduate degree, alongside help in planning your future career.
Funded participants of Access Postgrad will have 4 peer mentor meetings and non-funded participants will have 3 peer mentor meetings. All meetings will be with a trained current postgraduate student at the University of Bristol. All participants of the scheme will also have access to optional extras such as teaching sampling and more.