The University of Bristol is committed to the diversification of our postgraduate student body. We recognise the value of a varied cohort and want to encourage people from a range of backgrounds to apply for postgraduate study with us.
Access Postgrad scheme
As a prospective postgraduate student, you may have reservations about the time, skills and resources needed to access postgraduate study. The Access Postgrad scheme provides peer mentoring and skills development sessions to help current University of Bristol undergraduates decide whether postgraduate study is right for them.
We are pleased to be able to offer funding in the form of a few waiver of up to £5,000 for postgraduate taught tuition fees to support 10 Access Postgrad participants. Please read the funding section below to find out if you are eligible.
We anticipate Access Postgrad to start at the end of October 2021 with all participants due to complete by April 2022.
How to apply
To be considered for the Access Postgrad scheme you need to:
- be a current undergraduate student at the University of Bristol and be on track to graduate in September 2022 or Sept 2023,
- be a home-fee paying student,
- be interested in studying at postgraduate taught level with us in the future,
- meet one or more of the University’s widening participation criteria.
If you are interested in applying, please complete our application form. The application form will open on 27 September and close on 25 October 2021.
For further information on the scheme, please email the Postgraduate Recruitment team at firstname.lastname@example.org
Access Postgrad is able to offer 10 participants a fee waiver up to £5,000 towards postgraduate taught tuition fees for study commencing in September 2022.
To be considered for the funding, you must:
- be in your final year of undergraduate study at the University of Bristol,
- be a home fee paying student,
- be from a background underrepresented at the University and
- complete the Access Postgrad scheme.
All applications to Access Postgrad who meet these requirements will be considered for the funding and will be assessed and scored using the selection criteria. Find further information on the terms and conditions of this funding award.
In addition to the 10 funded places, we will be recruiting 20 non-funded participants who will benefit from the mentor scheme and skills development sessions. Applicants who are in their second and final year of undergraduate study are eligible to apply.
Details about the scheme
The programme will consist of peer mentoring with a current postgraduate student and skills development sessions.
Previous skills development sessions have covered the following topics:
- How to apply and fund your postgraduate study.
- Advice on writing a personal statement for your programme of interest and networking with academic and School staff.
- Study skills at postgraduate level, highlighting the main differences between undergraduate and postgraduate study and what resources are available as a postgraduate student.
- Careers support and advice demonstrating the value of a postgraduate degree, alongside help in planning your future career.
Funded participants of Access Postgrad will have four peer mentor meetings and non-funded participants will have three peer mentor meetings. All meetings will be with a trained current postgraduate student at the University of Bristol. All participants of the scheme will also have access to optional extras such as teaching, sampling and more.
Summer research opportunities
Each year we provide promising undergraduates from underrepresented groups with hands-on experience of research during the summer holidays. This is a fantastic opportunity to find out more about further study and a career in research.
Applications are currently closed.