Undergraduate student loan

Undergraduate students from the UK can access funding from the government. This is made up of a tuition fee loan and a maintenance loan to help cover living costs.

How much can I borrow?

Tuition fees

Tuition fee loans of up to £9,250 per year are available for UK students who are starting a full-time undergraduate course at the University in 2020/22. This loan is paid directly to the University to go towards your tuition fees.

Living costs

Maintenance loans are available to help with your living costs, such as food, accommodation and travel. This loan is paid directly into your bank account once you have registered at the University.

  • For students from England, if you live at home while you study, you could receive a loan of up to £7,987. If you live away from your family home, you could receive a loan of up to £9,488. You may need to give details of your household income to be assessed for the maintenance loan. The Gov.uk website explains what is meant by household income in more detail.
  • For students from WalesScotland or Northern Ireland, please refer to your government website. 

Use the student finance calculator to estimate how much maintenance loan you could receive.

Previous study

If you've previously studied in higher education for any number of years, you may not receive tuition fee funding for all years of another degree. Contact a student funding adviser to discuss how you may be affected.

You will not generally be eligible for a tuition fee loan or maintenance loan from Student Finance England if:

  • you already have an honours degree;
  • and your current course is at the same or a lower level than your previous course.

Read more about funding for second-degree students studying medicinedentistry, or veterinary science

Part-time study

Part-time undergraduate students are able to apply for funding from Student Finance England, providing:

  • you are studying over 25% of the full-time course in each year;
  • you do not have a degree qualification already.

If you started your course in or after August 2018, you can apply for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. If you started your course before August 2018, you can apply for a tuition fee loan only. Find guidance on loans for part-time study on the Gov.uk website.

If you don't live in England, you can find further information on the following websites:

How to apply


You have to pay back the tuition fee loan and the maintenance loan. You will start to pay back the loans once you have finished or left your course. Repayments will usually start in the April after you leave, but only if you are earning over £27,295 a year.

The Gov.uk website provide useful guidance on repaying your student loans.

Students from other regions

European Union

If you are an EU national (or a child of an EU national) and want to study in England, you may be able to get a tuition fee loan on a similar basis to UK students. If you apply through UCAS, you will receive a tuition fee loan application form if you are offered a place on a course.

EU students are not eligible for living cost loans.

We will continue to update our Brexit information for prospective students page whenever further information becomes available.

International students

You must have enough funding in place for your living costs and your tuition fees before you arrive at university. You can use our funding search tool to look for relevant scholarships and bursaries.

Isle of Man and Channel Islands

Find out what living cost and tuition fee support is available from the relevant island government website:

University bursaries

All UK students will automatically be considered for funding from these schemes:

If you have an offer to study or are awaiting a decision, you are also invited to apply for additional funding.

Use our funding search tool to see if there are any other bursaries that you could apply for.

Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences

Find out how to apply for funding for the one-year Foundation in Arts and Social Sciences.

Funding enquiries or money worries

General funding queries:

Call our Student Services:
+44 (0)117 428 3000

Edit this page