China Scholarship Council – University of Bristol joint-funded PhD Scholarship
Fully funded PhD scholarships for Chinese students to carry out research at the University of Bristol.
The China Scholarship Council (CSC)/University of Bristol joint-funded scholarships programme offers 60 fully funded PhD scholarships for up to 48 months of research at the University of Bristol.
The University of Bristol provides full tuition fees for each PhD programme.
The China Scholarship Council provides:
- a stipend (as specified by the Chinese Government)
- a return international airfare between China and the UK
- funding to cover passport and visa fees.
All scholarship students are required to return to China for 2 years after graduation.
- be no more than 35 years old
- have a strong academic background
- be a permanent resident of China when you apply. Chinese students who are already studying outside China may be eligible; see CSC policies
- fulfil the entry requirements set by the University
- have an appropriate level of English
- meet the UK governemnt visa requirements
- meet the CSC's criteria, including:
- if you're applying from China (domestic applicant), you must have obtained an Undergraduate/Masters degree (or be in the process of completing one). If you have already completed your Masters, you must be employed.
- if you're currently employed in China, your employer must support your application and provide a reference letter.
- if you're applying from outside China (overseas applicant), you must have obtained a master's degree within the past 12 months or you must be currently completing your master's degree. (If you return to China after your study abroad, you must follow the rules as a domestic applicant).
If you have already started your PhD programme at the University, you are no longer eligible to apply for this scholarship. Students from other UK or overseas universities are only eligible for the scheme if they are applying to start their PhD programme as a new student at the University of Bristol.
Visiting students or scholars
If you are interested in applying for CSC funding as a visiting student or scholar, contact the School.
How to apply
Step 1: Apply for a PhD programme at the University of Bristol
To be eligible for this scholarship, you must submit your completed application by 12 pm (midday) UK time on 4 December 2023.
- Apply directly for a postgraduate research programme.
- Specify that you wish to apply for the scholarship by selecting 'CSC-UoB joint PhD scholarship' on the funding source drop-down list in your application form. Put '100%' as the funding proportion.
Step 2: Receive a PhD offer and a nomination for the scholarship from the University
- Students who are given an offer of study from the University will be considered for a nomination for CSC-UoB scholarship.
- Successful candidates will be informed of their nomination for the scholarship and provided with a formal nomination letter by February 2024.
Step 3: Submit your application to the China Scholarship Council
- After receiving the offer letter from the University, apply directly to the China Scholarship Council between 1 March 2024 and 31 March 2024.
Candidates will need their offer letter to do this. The list of required documents for Chinese domestic applicants and overseas Chinese applicants are available on the CSC website. More information can be found in CSC’s Q and A document (for reference only. The 2024 version will be published in late 2023 or 2024).
2. The CSC will draw up a list of successful scholarship recipients in June 2024. All candidates who are successful in their funding application to the CSC will then be contacted by the University.
3. Registration for 2024 PhD research programmes at the University will take place from September 2024.
In order to be eligible for consideration for a CSC-University of Bristol PhD Scholarship, you must submit your completed application for your PhD programme by 12 noon (UK time) Monday 4 December 2023.
If you're nominated by the University of Bristol, you must apply directly to CSC for the scholarship by Sunday 31 March 2024 (to be confirmed).
You may apply for any research area of the University of Bristol: visit our postgraduate research prospectus to learn about more than 80 PhD programmes across the six faculties in the University.
The University of Bristol also leads and participates in more than 35 world-leading, cohort-based Doctoral Training Centres. This results in one of the largest concentrations of funding and support for collaborative PhD training in the UK.
CSC scholarship (private route) applications
We no longer accept applications for the CSC scholarship (private route): “个人渠道”.
Xiamen University-CSC Innovation Talent Scheme applications
Select 'CSC-Innovation Talent Scheme' on the funding source drop-down list in your PhD application form.
CSC scholarship (visiting students) applications
Select 'CSC-visiting student' on the funding source drop-down list in your PhD application form.
Get in touch
If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.