Working part-time

Recommended work hours for full-time undergraduate students is no more than 15 hours per week during term-time, and postgraduate students no more than 20 hours per week. It’s important that you leave enough time for your academic studies.

Finding a job, placement or internship

The University Careers Service advertises student vacancies through mycareer and offers advice on finding part-time work, suitable work experience placements or internships.


The government provides guidance on paying tax as a student worker, including advice on tax refunds.

EU students

Students from European Economic Area (EEA) countries do not need permission to work in the UK, but will need to get a National Insurance number before starting employment.

International students

We recommend that international students read the following advice on working while you study:

Finding a job in the UK

Working in the UK during your studies

Working in the UK after your studies

Sponsorship while you study

Some employers offer sponsorship for all or part of a course. Sponsors could include major national or local employers and the Armed Forces. Local careers offices may also help find sponsors.

Funding enquiries or money worries

Money advice queries:

Call our Student Services:
+44 (0)117 428 3000

Track your skills

Reflect on, record, and develop the skills you are gaining through part-time work.

Edit this page