Leadership and Strategy
Build your leadership credentials and improve your strategic thinking.
The University offers a number of modular leadership development programmes every year, listed below. Applications for Exploring Leadership and Bristol Senior Leaders 2019-20 programmes have now closed.
For professional service managers who currently lead a team of staff and/or who are responsible for delivering a university service (typically grades J-L).
Bristol Senior Leaders
For professional services and academic staff for whom leadership is a significant part of their current or next role (typically grades L-M).
Female Leadership Initiative (FLi)
FLi is an internally-run development programme for those who identify as women. The programme is open to professional services and academic staff at any grade or career-stage. It aims at those who wish to hone their level of self-awareness and personal insight in order to develop their personal leadership style and influence. Applications for the 2019-20 programme are now open.
Aurora (Advance HE programme)
This external programme, operated by Advance HE, is aimed at mid-career female academic and professional services staff wishing to develop their leadership skills and key competencies. Applications for the 2019-20 programme are now open.
These Masterclasses have been designed to support staff in senior leadership roles. The short, impactful sessions provide an opportunity to refresh or refine your skills in key areas you are likely to face in your role.
- The Resilient Leader with Fabienne Vailes, Language Director, Department of French & leadership development staff
- Collaborative leadership: How to build stronger relationships. handle healthy conflict and share control with David Archer, Partner at Socia
- Organisational Stuckness with Alastair Work, Advance HE
- Lost in Translation: Leadership and Communications with Alicia O'Grady, Director of External Relations
- Leading from a Growth Mindset with Rich Cook, Founder and Director of Mindset Practice
- Strategy and Planning in Higher Education with Steve Chadwick, Director of Strategy, Planning and Change
- Leading and Managing Change with Tracy Hayler, Head of Change Management
- The Balanced University Leader with Professor Hugh Kearns
- Authority, Influence and Impact with VOX Coaching
Resources for Leadership and Strategy
KnowHow resources on Leadership
Our KnowHow library contains hundreds of insightful leadership resources on topics such as change management, innovation, partnership working and managing talent.
'Someone I can rely on': Stories of leading and being led at a research-intensive university
This engaging book chapter by Professor Alan Floyd and Dilly Fung is drawn from data taken from an LFHE study into academics' experiences of 'good' and 'bad' leadership at a prominent university.
'Dare to Disagree'
Most people instinctively avoid conflict, but as Margaret Heffernan shows us in this inspiring TED talk, good disagreement is central to progress.
'Mindful Self-Awareness as the Basis for Effective Leadership'
Research article examining the impact of mindfulness on leadership effectiveness by Dr. Matthew Lippincott
TED Leadership playlists
A curated playlist of the most enlightening and insightful TED talks on the topic of leadership.
'Coaching for Performance'
John Whitmore's classic text on the principles and practices of coaching and leadership
All UoB staff are institutional members of Advance HE. Visit the Advance HE website for the latest leadership research, news, events and resources for our sector.