Entry requirements for undergraduate courses

You can apply for undergraduate programmes either through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) or the Common Application. Please use only one method of applying. If you are using UCAS to apply for other UK universities, please also make your University of Bristol application through UCAS and do not use the Common Application.

The UCAS code name and number for this University is BRISL B78.

We welcome applications from students studying for the Vitnemal - videregaende opplaering (generell studiekompetanse). Entry requirements vary across Schools but generally we will be looking for a minimum of 5.0 in relevant subjects and a minimum of 4.5 overall for years 2 and 3.

If an A* grade at A Level is required we will require a 6 in that subject in either year 2 or year 3, and a 5 elsewhere. If an A grade is required we will require a 5 in year 2 and year 3 in that subject. Our most popular programmes require an overall average of at least 4.8.

Please note that competition for places at Bristol is very strong, so the achievement of the qualifications listed above does not guarantee that an offer will be made. We aim to get you a response as quickly as possible to help you plan your studies.

Entry requirements for postgraduate programmes

You can apply online for all our postgraduate programmes.

The standard requirement for entry to a taught masters programme at Bristol is an undergraduate (Bachelor) degree that is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class degree (also known as a 2:1).

Applicants who hold a Candidatus magisterii or Candidatus juris (for Law) with 'laudibilis' or 2.5 or less, or grades A or B, will be considered for admission to a Masters degree.

Applicants who hold a Candidatus realium or Candidatus philologiae will be considered for admission to PhD study.

English language requirements

The majority of programmes at Bristol will accept a grade 5 in English in the Vitnemal as a suitable English language qualification.

If English is not your first language and you do not have 5 in English in the Vitnemal, please refer to our English language guidelines.

Scholarship information

Please note that the University of Bristol is on the Norwegian Government's Lanekassen list of approved overseas institutions that can attract extra loans for any student who attends.

Think Big scholarships - New for 2018, the University of Bristol is delighted to launch the new Think Big scholarship scheme. 52 scholarships are available to international applicants for undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes at the University of Bristol. Information on eligibility and how to apply can be found at If you have any specific queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Scholarships & Sponsors team at

Further information about scholarships is available from the University's Student Funding Office.

British Council in Norway

The British Council has offices in more than 100 countries, including Norway. Many of them are able to give guidance and information regarding Higher Education in the UK. Quite recently however, the Norwegian office stopped giving advice regarding education overseas, but they have compiled a list of useful links on their website, which you may like to consult.

Our representatives in Norway

The University has agreements with a number of education representatives (also known as agents) around the world, who can assist you with your application. Please note that using a representative does not put your application at any advantage or disadvantage when the academic decisions are made within the department. Independent applications will be considered on an equal basis.

Please use the services of only one representative to avoid administrative complications. We only work with representatives listed on our website.

Our registered representatives are:

  • Sonor - who have three offices in Oslo, Bergen and Trondheim.

Meet current students online

Find out what our current international students think about life in Bristol on our international Facebook page or read our student profiles.

The University Students' Union has a number of cultural societies. You can check their website to see the whole range of clubs and societies that are here.

English language requirements

Student using headphones

If English is not your first language, please refer to our English language requirements.

Visits to your country

Airline travel tags

You can meet and talk to our staff at exhibitions held in your country; find out when we are visiting you schedule of overseas visits.

Edit this page