Entry requirements for undergraduate courses

You can apply for undergraduate programmes either through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) or the Common Application. Please use only one method of applying. If you are using UCAS to apply for other UK universities, please also make your University of Bristol application through UCAS and do not use the Common Application.

The UCAS code name and number for this University is BRISL B78.

Applicants with the Upper Secondary School Leaving Certificate (Kotogakko Sotsugyo Shomeisho) combined with a successfully completed appropriate foundation/bridging programme will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree courses.

Applicants who have successfully completed the first year of a Japanese University degree will be considered for admission to the first year of our Bachelor degree courses.

Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or British A-Levels will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree courses.

Please note that competition for places at Bristol is very strong, so the achievement of the qualifications listed above does not guarantee that an offer will be made. We aim to get you a response as quickly as possible to help you plan your studies.

Entry requirements for postgraduate programmes

You can apply online for all our postgraduate programmes.

The standard requirement for entry to a taught masters programme at Bristol is an undergraduate (Bachelor) degree that is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class degree (also known as a 2:1).

Scholarship information

Think Big scholarships - New for 2018, the University of Bristol is delighted to launch the new Think Big scholarship scheme. 52 scholarships are available to international applicants for undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes at the University of Bristol. Information on eligibility and how to apply can be found at bristol.ac.uk/international-scholarships. If you have any specific queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Scholarships & Sponsors team at international-partnerships@bristol.ac.uk.

Further information about scholarships is available from the University's Student Funding Office.

British Council in Japan

The British Council has offices in more than 100 countries. Many of them are able to give guidance and information regarding Higher Education in the UK. Please visit their website to see if there is an office near you, and find out what services may be available. Here are some details:

  • Tokyo Office: Tokyo centre 1-2 Kagurazaka, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-0825
    Tel: 03-3235-8031
  • Osaka Office: Osaka centre, Dojima Avanza 4F1-6-20 Dojima, Kita-ku, Osaka 530-0003.
    Tel: 06-6342-5301
    Fax: 06-6342-5311

Our representatives in Japan

The University has agreements with a number of education representatives (also known as agents) around the world, who can assist you with your application. Please note that using a representative does not put your application at any advantage or disadvantage when the academic decisions are made within the department. Independent applications will be considered on an equal basis.

Please use the services of only one representative to avoid administrative complications. We only work with representatives listed on our website.

Links to our registered representatives in your country are given below:

beo (Tokyo)
5th floor Forecast Shinjuku South Bldg., 4-3-17 Shinjuku, Shinjuku-ku,
Tokyo, 160-0022, Japan
Tel: +81 (0)3-53673315
Email: study@beo.jp
Website: www.beo.jp
Japanese website: www.bristol-uk.jp/

beo (Osaka)
3rd floor Inoi Building 2, 2-9-19 Shibata, Kita-ku,
Osaka, 530-0012, Japan
Tel: 06-6371-1116
Fax: 06-6371-1165
Email: osaka@beo.jp
Website: www.beo.jp

SI-UK Education Council (Tokyo)
Takagi Building 3F, Kamiosaki 2-15-14,
Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo-to 141-0021, Japan
Tel: 03-5272-9143
Email: tokyo@ukeducation.jp
Website: www.ukeducation.jp

SI-UK Education Council (Osaka)
2F Nissei Building East, 2-2-13 Shibata,
Kita-ku, Osaka, 530-0012, Japan
Tel: 06-6147-5681
Email: osaka@ukeducation.jp
Website: www.ukeducation.jp

Meet current students online

Find out what our current international students think about life in Bristol on our international Facebook page or read our student profiles.

The University Students' Union has a number of cultural societies. You can check their website to see the whole range of clubs and societies that are here.

English language requirements

Student using headphones

If English is not your first language, please refer to our English language requirements.

Visits to your country

Airline travel tags

You can meet and talk to our staff at exhibitions held in your country; find out when we are visiting you schedule of overseas visits.

Edit this page