Hong Kong

Entry requirements for undergraduate courses

You can apply for undergraduate programmes either through the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service (UCAS) or the Common Application. Please use only one method of applying. If you are using UCAS to apply for other UK universities, please also make your University of Bristol application through UCAS and do not use the Common Application.

The UCAS code name and number for this University is BRISL B78.

Applicants with Hong Kong Advanced Level Examinations in a minimum of three subjects will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree courses.

Applicants with the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or British A-Levels will be considered for admission to our Bachelor degree courses.

From 2012 entry, applicants with the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) will be considered for admissions to our Bachelor degree programmes. Two or three elective subjects are required with grades ranging from 444 to 555*, depending on specific course requirements.

Applicants who hold 4 or above in HKCEE English or grade C or above in HKALE AS level English are likely to be exempt from English language testing.

Please note that competition for places at Bristol is very strong, so the achievement of the qualifications listed above does not guarantee that an offer will be made. We aim to get you a response as quickly as possible to help you plan your studies.

Entry requirements for postgraduate programmes

You can apply online for all our postgraduate programmes.

The standard requirement for entry to a taught masters programme at Bristol is an undergraduate (Bachelor) degree that is equivalent to a UK Upper Second Class degree (also known as a 2:1).

Applicants who hold a Bachelor (Honours) degree will be considered for admission to a Masters degree. Applicants who hold a Masters degree will be considered for admission to PhD study.

Applicants who hold 4 or above in HKCEE English or grade C or above in HKALE AS level English are likely to be exempt from English language testing.

Scholarship information

The University of Bristol Hong Kong Alumni offer a scholarship each year for a student from Hong Kong to take a Taught Masters programme.

Think Big scholarships - New for 2018, the University of Bristol is delighted to launch the new Think Big scholarship scheme. 52 scholarships are available to international applicants for undergraduate and taught postgraduate programmes at the University of Bristol. Information on eligibility and how to apply can be found at bristol.ac.uk/international-scholarships. If you have any specific queries, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our Scholarships & Sponsors team at international-partnerships@bristol.ac.uk.

British Council in Hong Kong

The British Council has offices in more than 100 countries. Please refer to their website to see where their local office is to you.

Our representatives in Hong Kong

The University has agreements with a number of education representatives (also known as agents) around the world, who can assist you with your application. Please note that using a representative does not put your application at any advantage or disadvantage when the academic decisions are made within the department. Independent applications will be considered on an equal basis.

Please use the services of only one representative to avoid administrative complications. We only work with representatives listed on our website.

Our representatives in Hong Kong are:

Meet current students online

Find out what our current international students think about life in Bristol on our international Facebook page or read our student profiles.

The University Students' Union has a number of cultural societies, including the Hong Kong Society and Hong Kong Public Affairs and Social Service Society (HKPASS). You can check their website to see the whole range of clubs and societies that are here.

English language requirements

Student using headphones

If English is not your first language, please refer to our English language requirements.

Visits to your country

Airline travel tags

You can meet and talk to our staff at exhibitions held in your country; find out when we are visiting you schedule of overseas visits.

Edit this page