About Destination Vet
During your two weeks with us you will build your own work experience portfolio. International students can use this towards the work experience needed for an application to a University of Bristol Veterinary Science degree.
Destination Vet programme features
You will take part in the following activities:
- See practice in our amazing small animal hospital, equine referral centre and diagnostic laboratory.
- Get practical experience on our own dairy cow and sheep farm, Wyndhurst Farm.
- Attend clinical skills practical sessions to try out some of the things that vets do.
- Meet some of our vets and veterinary nurses to learn what it's like to be a vet.
- Spend time with the exotic species in our live anatomy barn.
- Enjoy field trips that broaden your understanding of animal lives.
Teaching starts on Monday 16 July 2018 and ends on Friday 27 July 2018. You will be based in Bristol for some taught activities, with visits to the Veterinary School, small animal practice and farm in Langford, North Somerset.
Arrive on Sunday 15 July and we will meet you at Bristol or Heathrow airport and take you to your accommodation. When it's time to leave we can take you back to either Bristol or Heathrow airport on Saturday 28 July.
This service is included in the summer school fee. We can provide a service at different locations or on different dates for an extra cost.
Support for your future studies
There will be sessions with expert careers and admissions advisers who will help support you with an application to a UK vet school. You will learn all about student life in Bristol from our current Veterinary Science students.
We want you to experience what life as an undergraduate student is really like and offer a full and exciting schedule of social activities.
A different activity is planned for each evening. Activities may include:
- a welcome BBQ with veterinary staff at Langford;
- shopping at Bristol's Cabot Circus shopping centre;
- quiz nights;
- an evening meal in a local restaurant.
Weekend excursions will take you further afield to explore the UK. They could include a trip to Longleat Safari Park or a visit to the historic town of Stratford-upon-Avon.
Destination Vet takes place from 16 July 2018 until 27 July 2018.
Accommodation is provided in one of our catered halls of residence.
You'll have your own study bedroom on a same-sex floor with shared bathroom facilities.
Health, safety and well-being
To ensure your health, safety and well-being a team of student mentors and a member of staff will be with your group at all times.