About Biomedical Sciences Lab Summer School
Our three-week programme will build the skills required to help you launch a career in biomedical science research.
Work with our experienced and enthusiastic staff to develop your laboratory techniques in a range of settings.
You'll gain hands-on lab experience in research, medicine or other associated healthcare professions. You'll also design, carry out and analyse your own experiments in small group work, and then present your findings at the end of the programme.
What to expect
You will take part in a range of activities, including:
- conducting experiments in the physiology and neuroscience laboratory, ranging from the effects of exercise on the electrocardiogram to factors that affect nerve conduction
- visiting our human simulation suite to explore how simulated subjects and patients, including Stan (pictured), can help train the next generation of researchers and doctors
- using a virtual microscope system to look at cell structure and function in a revolutionary way
- participating in exciting practical sessions in biochemistry, microbiology and immunology
Arrival and departure
Your room will be available from Sunday 15 July through Saturday 4 August. We will provide you with directions on how to get to the University at a closer date to the programme's start.
Bristol is an easy 90-minute train journey from central London. There are also direct buses and coaches from Heathrow airport.
You will also need to organise your own travel to and from the UK.
Accommodation is provided in one of our catered halls of residence. Breakfast and evening meals are included. You will have your own single bedroom with shared bathroom facilities.
Your time at Bristol won’t all be spent in a lab. We want you to experience what it’s like to be a student at Bristol and get to know the city, so we’ve arranged social events throughout the programme. You’ll also enjoy free time in the evenings to explore our fantastic city with your new classmates.
The social programme may include:
- trips to the UNESCO World Heritage Sites of Bath and Stonehenge
- walking tours of Bristol’s world-famous street art
- organised evenings out
Application closes April 30 2018:
15 July 2018 until 4 August 2018
Our example syllabus provides further details about activities offered on the programme. Please note that these are subject to change.