Government funding in 2018

Apply for your student finance

If you're starting a full-time undergraduate course at university this September, you can now apply for your tuition fee and living-cost funding.

If you're interested in studying part-time, see our advice on part-time student finance.

Financial help available

Tuition fees

UK students at the University of Bristol, who commence their studies in 2018/19, can access tuition fee loans of up to £9,250 per year. The tuition fee loan is paid direct to the University.

Living costs

Maintenance loans are available for your living costs during the academic year. The maintenance loan is paid into your bank account once your registration has been confirmed at the University.

  • If you live in your family home while you study, you could receive a loan of up to £7,324.
  • If you live away from your family home while you study, you could receive a loan of up to £8,700.

You may need to give details of your household income to be assessed for part of the maintenance loan. The GOV.UK website explains what is meant by household income in more detail.

The above maintenance loan figures are for students from England, who commence their studies in 2018/19. For students from Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, please refer to your government website. 

Use the student finance calculator to estimate how much maintenance loan you could receive.

EU students

If you are an EU national (or a child of an EU national) and wish to study in England, you may get a Tuition Fee Loan on a similar basis to UK students. If you apply through UCAS, you will receive a tuition fee loan application form if you are offered a place on a course.

The Student Room's EU Students page provides more information on the funding available to EU students.

You can contact the Student Finance team that deals with applications from EU students on +44 (0)141 243 3570 or write to them at:

Student Finance Services
Student Finance England
Darlington DL1 9AZ

Previous study

Government funding for a first undergraduate degree is normally for the length of the course plus one extra year. If you've previously studied in Higher Education, you may not receive funding for all years of another degree.

Contact a Student Funding Adviser to discuss how you may be affected: or 0117 331 7972.

Repaying your loans

You have to pay back the tuition fee loan and the maintenance loan. You will start to pay back the loans once you have finished or left your course. Repayments will usually start in the April after you leave, but only if you are earning over £25,000 a year.

The Student Loans Company website provide useful guidance on repaying your student loans.

Funding advice

Read our advice pages on managing your money, working part-time and disability funding.

EU referendum update

EU nationals who currently receive student loans from the Student Loans Company (SLC) and EU nationals who intend to begin studying at the University in September 2018 and who are eligible to receive loans and/or grants from the SLC, will continue to receive these loans and grants until they finish their course.

We will continue to update our EU referendum and tuition fees page whenever further information becomes available.