Data Week 2021: South West Nuclear Hub panel and workshop
The South West Nuclear Hub invites you to two sessions covering how data science can be used in the nuclear industry, as part of the Jean Golding Institute Data Week Online 2021.
Nuclear Structural Integrity & Data Automation: A Roadmap
Monday 14th June 14:00-14:50
A panel session highlighting key areas driving data automation in nuclear structural integrity. The presentation will set the scene by presenting a high-level description of the roadmap by industry leads.
Hosted by the South West Nuclear Hub, The Alan Turing Institute special interest group in engineering structural integrity and the EDF SINDRI Prosperity Partnership project.
Chair: Nawal Prinja, Technology Director at Jacobs Clean Energy Ltd.
- Professor Paul Wilcox – Professor of Dynamics and Alan Turing Institute Fellow at the University of Bristol
- Andy Gettings - Structural Integrity Branch Manager at EDF UK
- Dr Daniel Cogswell - UKRI Future Leaders Fellow at the University of Sheffield
- Rob Akers – Advanced Computing Department Manager at UK Atomic Energy Authority
- Dr Alisa Sratulat – Technology Manager – AI for Materials at Mipar Image Analysis
- Dr Simon Lewis – Nuclear, renewables and power generation, Norton Straw
The Nuclear Industry x Data Science Experts: Challenge Collaboration Workshop
Monday 14th June 15:00-17:00
Data generated by the nuclear industry has increased exponentially, thus requiring new and efficient analysis methods. While the need for data science and AI is clear, defining solutions to specific problems and finding exact methodologies to tackle them is lacking. This session presents four areas in which the nuclear industry requires data science expertise.
Designed as a match-making workshop, we invite you to join and help us tackle these challenges through two breakout workshop sessions:
Session 1: Specific Applications
- Radiation Sensor Networks & Multiple Networked detectors - Led by Dr Peter Martin, University of Bristol
- Micro-structurally informed simulation models - Led by Professor Mahmoud Mostafavi, University of Bristol
- Interrogating microstructure vulnerability using volumetric data – Led by Dr Alisa Stratulat, Mipar Image Analysis
- Non-Destructive Evaluation (NDE) measurements - Led by Professor Paul Wilcox, University of Bristol
Session 2: Macro Themes
- Big data processing - Led by Dr Peter Martin, University of Bristol
- Deep learning - Led by Professor Paul Wilcox, University of Bristol
- Surrogate modelling - Led by Professor Mahmoud Mostafavi, University of Bristol
You will be able to select your preferred workshop sessions via the Eventbrite page.
Data Week Online 2021
This event is part of Data Week Online 2021, organised by the Jean Golding Institute at the University of Bristol. Running from Monday 14 June - Friday 18 June 2021, this will be the 4th annual week-long series of workshops, talks and events in the world of data science and data-intensive research.