The department delivers world-leading teaching and research. We have extensive interdisciplinary links with applied mathematics, physics, psychology and medicine. Our research activities are organised under two umbrellas:
- Electrical energy management.
Given the dynamic nature of our field, there has been a marked shift in emphasis to embrace low-carbon technologies, adopting a holistic approach to communication systems research, and exploiting new advances in optical devices. The department is associated with these closely coupled research groups:
Electrical Energy Management
- efficient management of both electrical energy and systems
Communication Systems & Networks
- exploiting the prominence of ‘end-to-end connectivity’
Visual Information Laboratory
- with a focus on emerging multimedia applications, end-to-end transport and analytics
Photonics and Quantum
- reflecting a broader remit including Quantum Information and enabling technologies
For more general information on research activities, please contact the relevant Head of Group.
Professor Angela Doufexi
Head of Department
State-of-the-art facilities include quantum and photonic laboratories, high performance networks and more »