We offer a service to provide copies of items in our collections. Details and charges are listed below.
Some items may be deemed too fragile to reproduce and the Theatre Collection reserves the right to make this judgement.
Please note that 'commercial' refers to any use within the public sphere. This includes: film and television, performance and installations, publications, exhibitions and displays, websites, online blogs and all forms of social media.
Non-commercial copying (i.e. personal research/reference)
For enquiries received from researchers who are unable to visit the Theatre Collection, we can offer paper or electronic copies of images.
- Image-search charges: We will conduct an initial maximum search of up to 15 minutes free of charge. You will be informed prior to any additional searches and charges being made.
- Scanning charges: Three pounds for the first scan; 50 pence for each additional scan.
- Postage: £1.50 for postage for paper copies.
Copies made must be for research use only and may not be used for reproduction or commercial purposes, without the prior agreement and acknowledgement of the copyright holder(s) and the University of Bristol Theatre Collection. You will be asked to complete a form to agree with these conditions.
Requests in person
Subject to availability, researchers may use the scanning facility at the Theatre Collection to produce electronic copies.
- Public scanning charges: Three pounds flat rate per day.
- University of Bristol staff and students: Free
You will need to ask a member of staff for a licence to use the scanner (available on the day), and you will be asked to complete our copyright-permission form for any copies made. Copies of your scans will also be backed up our image bank.
We also offer a service to scan items for you, if you prefer:
- Scanning charges: Three pounds for the first scan; 50 pence for each additional scan. Should the scanning process involve more than 15 minutes of staff time, then an extra £25 will be charged in addition to the cost of the scans.
Copying of audio-visual material
Moving-image material will only be supplied if all relevant copyright clearances and consents have already been obtained, and evidence of this is provided in writing to the Theatre Collection.
- Commercial copying charges: £50 per hour. A minimum one-hour charge applies.
- Non-commercial copying charges: £25 per hour. A minimum-one hour charge applies.
To ensure the preservation of archival items, the photocopying of archival materials is discouraged. Instead, we can offer black and white printed copies of scanned material, using the services described above.
Photography (no flash) is allowed at the discretion of Theatre Collection staff.
Photographs taken must be for personal research use only and may not be used for reproduction or commercial purposes without the prior agreement and acknowledgement of the copyright holder(s) and the University of Bristol Theatre Collection. You will be asked to complete a form to agree with these conditions.
- Public photography charges: Three pounds flat rate per day.
- University of Bristol staff and students: Free.
The University of Bristol Theatre Collection does not hold copyright for all of its holdings and therefore it is the responsibility of the researcher to ensure that copyright is cleared, prior to any material being published. The University of Bristol takes no responsibility for copyright concerning third parties.