MSc Business AnalyticsFind a programme
|Faculty||Faculty of Social Sciences and Law|
|Programme length||One year full-time|
|Location of programme||Clifton campus|
|Part-time study available||No, full-time only|
|Start date||September 2022|
The MSc Business Analytics is a one-year specialist programme for graduates with a bachelor's degree with a substantial quantitative component, and highly qualified graduates from other backgrounds with demonstrable advanced quantitative skills. It will suit graduates or early career professionals who wish to pursue a career in business analytics across sectors such as digital marketing, human resources, logistics, retail, finance, banking, insurance and healthcare.
The MSc Business Analytics has been created in partnership with Industry professionals from IBM, LV & UCL/IBM Industry Exchange Network. It provides students with the opportunity to consult on real-life business analytics projects and to provide data-driven solutions to a real business problem or challenge, where possible, in partnership with IBM and other private, charity, and public sector organisations.
Students will gain a critical understanding of organisational, societal, and ethical issues in the use of Business Analytics. These issues are crucial for many organisations that seek to provide data-driven services while trying to balance innovation and competitiveness with public trust and corporate social responsibility. Examples of projects include optimisation of resource allocation, people analytics to support hiring decisions, customer segmentation and sentiment analysis to improve a business strategic direction.
At the end of the programme, students will have learned technical skills in data preparation (eg identification, extraction, and cleaning of data); the use of statistical and machine learning techniques to perform data mining and predictive analytics; the formulation and execution of statistical and mathematical models to optimise complex business decisions; social media and web analytics (eg web scraping, sentiment analysis, Natural Language Processing); the visualisation, interpretation, and reporting/communication of results from statistical analysis. Students will learn how to perform ad-hoc data analytics in Python and through specialised software such as IBM SPSS Modeler and IBM CPLEX.
You will be taught by leading academics whose research tackles the major issues in business analytics. 78% of the School of Management's research is rated as world leading or internationally excellent (REF 2014), reflecting its impact in shaping policy and practice. Bristol is a vibrant, ambitious and entrepreneurial city and home to SETSquared, the world's top university business incubator (UBI Global).
Fees for 2022/23
We charge an annual tuition fee. Fees for 2022/23 are as follows:
- UK: full-time
- Overseas: full-time
Following the recent changes to fee assessment regulation, Channel Islands and Isle of Man students will no longer be charged a separate tuition fee. From the 2021/22 academic year they will be charged the same fees as Home students.
Fees are subject to an annual review. For programmes that last longer than one year, please budget for up to a five per cent increase in fees each year. Find out more about tuition fees.
University of Bristol students and graduates can benefit from a ten per cent reduction in tuition fees for postgraduate study. Check your eligibility for an alumni scholarship.
Funding for 2022/23
Further information on funding for prospective UK, EU and international postgraduate students.
You will study six core units, each worth 20 credits:
- Data Analytics in Business covers marketing analytics, people analytics, supply chain and project analytics and teaches skills in data preparation (eg SQL); application of statistical models and machine learning; data visualisation to gain business insights; Python and IBM SPSS Modeler.
- Behavioural Decision Making provides a firm basis in both the theory and practice of decision-making in business analytics. Students will understand their own decision-making tendencies and become better decision makers.
- Modelling Analytics teaches prescriptive analytics to optimise decisions for complex business problems (eg financial portfolio optimisation, transportation management) with Python and IBM CPLEX.
- Social Media and Web Analytics teaches text mining and visualisation for large-scale web/social media data (eg social media listening, social network analysis, web scraping, Natural Language Processing, sentiment analysis).
- Business Analytics and Responsible Innovation teaches ethics and sustainability issues in the adoption of business analytics. Examples of topics are: integrity of business analytics; big data and Corporate Social Responsibility; data governance; privacy and public trust.
- Business Analytics Consulting Project teaches project management, how to apply data analytics to business problems, and research methods. Students will perform a group project which may be conducted in partnership with external organisations.
The final unit is an Applied Research Project in Business Analytics (60 credits), which may be conducted in partnership with external organisations and will be assessed with a dissertation.
Visit our programme catalogue for full details of the structure and unit content for our MSc in Business Analytics.
An upper second-class honours degree (or international equivalent) in an applied Social Science or Science discipline (or related field) with substantial quantitative component. e.g. Maths, Statistics, Economics, Computer Science, Engineering, Science, Data Science/Analytics, Operational Research, Accounting, Finance, Management/Decision Science. Applicants must have passed units/modules in quantitative analysis (e.g. applied statistics, statistical analysis/analytics).
See international equivalent qualifications on the International Office website.
English language requirements
If English is not your first language, you need to meet this profile level:
Further information about English language requirements and profile levels.
Read the programme admissions statement for important information on entry requirements, the application process and supporting documents required.
The MSc Business Analytics Programme responds to the increasing demand for skills in business analytics both in the UK and abroad.
Our Careers Service offers support and online training to help you to identify your career goals, apply for opportunities, and perfect your interview technique during your year of study.
Career paths examples include:
- Business Analytics Specialist/Professionals
- Management Consultant
- Product Manager
- Market Research Analyst/Digital Marketing
- Quantitative/Data Analyst
- Business Operations Analytics Specialist
- HR/People/Insurance Analytics Specialist
- Financial analyst.
29 July 2022 for international applicants. 12 August 2022 for UK applicants. Early applications recommended; places may fill before the deadline. As students from different regions tend to apply at different points in the application period, applications from some regions may close earlier in the year.
Discover the expertise and resources on offer at Bristol with our live and on-demand events.
Request more information
Find out more about studying with us or request a prospectus.
Enquiries Team Phone: +44 (0) 117 394 1649 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
School website: School of Management
REF 2014 results
- 20% of research is world-leading (4 star)
- 45% of research is internationally excellent (3 star)
- 30% of research is recognised internationally (2 star)
- 5% of research is recognised nationally (1 star)
Results are from the most recent UK-wide assessment of research quality, conducted by HEFCE. More about REF 2014 results.