Langford Guide

Service or resourceSummary
Room access University staff and contractors will normally try to give 24 hours notice that access is required to a flat or bedroom, however in the case of an emergency immediate access may be necessary. See the University’s guidance for accessing accommodation (PDF, 120KB). Where a repair has been requested notice that access is required will be deemed to have been given. All University staff and contractors will carry identification and residents should always ask to see it.
Reporting absence It is very important that we know when you are away in case there is a fire or other emergency. To report your absence from the residence please complete the absence form,  A minimum of 48 hours, or in an emergency 24 hours, notice is required in order that Security can be kept updated on the occupancy in event of any incident.
Room access University staff and contractors will normally try to give 24 hours notice that access is required to a flat or bedroom, however in the case of an emergency immediate access may be necessary. See the University’s guidance for accessing accommodation (PDF, 120KB). Where a repair has been requested notice that access is required will be deemed to have been given. All University staff and contractors will carry identification and residents should always ask to see it.
Rent and tenancy dates

You can see the accommodation fees, or rent, for your residence by downloading the Undergraduate accommodation fees (PDF, 129KB) which also has details of your tenancy dates. Full information on how to pay your accommodation fees can be found on the Accommodation Office website.


Your bedroom will be supplied with a bed, mattress, desk, task lighting, chair, curtains/blind, drawers/shelving, wardrobe and waste receptacle. We do not supply bed linen, duvets or pillows.

For reasons of safety residents are not permitted to have their own heaters or cooking equipment such as toasters or kettles in their bedrooms. Any such items may be taken into storage by residence staff.

Bike storage

Langford has a limited number of bike hoops available for use outside of south block of New Hostel. 

Bikes may not be stored or secured anywhere other than the bike hoops. Bikes found in student rooms, communal areas, corridors or stairwells will be removed.

Please read your contents insurance with regard to cover for your bike and ensure that it is stored as per the conditions of the cover. If the value of your bike is greater than the cover provided you should consider either extending your insurance policy or finding another suitable policy.  


Residents are expected to maintain their accommodation including communal areas in a clean and habitable condition. In particular they must wash up after themselves and participate in the recycling scheme that will be explained on arrival. Failure to observe adequate standards of cleanliness and hygiene may lead to the suspension of normal cleaning services, removal of goods or material and/or the imposition of charges for additional cleaning in addition to action under the Disciplinary Procedures.

Subject to the above and to staff availability, the cleaning provided in your residence as a minimum is shown below:

  • Halls and stairways - weekly
  • Kitchens/pantries - daily (excluding weekends and bank holidays)
  • Bathrooms/showers/toilets - daily (excluding weekends and bank holidays)
  • Bedrooms - not serviced, student responsibility 

Please note that cleaning of kitchens will not include disposal of rubbish or doing students’ washing up. 


We will communicate with you via the following methods:

Emails - Urgent notices will be e-mailed out on an ad hoc basis. All e-mails will be sent to your Bristol University e-mail address. This is also the email address that your department will use to communicate with you. You are asked to check your University e-mail at least once a day.

Noticeboards - The residences have several notice boards. Please be aware that fly-posting on the walls, doors or windows around Hall is not allowed. 


Very occasionally students are unhappy with their accommodation or the services they are receiving. The Residences have a complaints procedure (PDF, 155KB) which details how you can submit a complaint to us.  

If you have taken your complaint through the agreed procedure you may take the case to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education, which provides an independent scheme for the review of student complaints. The OIA will consider cases only when the University’s own internal complaints and appeal procedures have been exhausted. It will not intervene on matters which turn purely on academic assessment.

Unresolved complaints may be directed to the UUK Student Accommodation Code


You will be charged for any cleaning, repairs or replacements needed to University property that go beyond normal wear and tear and which arise out of damage or negligence by yourself or your guests. This includes damage caused by affixing anything to the walls. Where damage occurs in a communal area such as a kitchen it may be charged to all the occupants of a flat, corridor or block. You have the right to appeal against any charge.

An example of charges is given below, please note that these may vary according to labour or costs involved (all charges are subject to depreciation). Charges are subject to an administrative fee of 15% up to a maximum of £50.

  • Clean one wall - £25
  • Repaint one wall - £100
  • Replace one mattress - £100
  • Clean one carpet - £50
  • Replace one carpet - £200
  • Clean one fridge, freezer, oven or hob - £30
  • Clean one kitchen, bedroom or bathroom - £55
Electrical equipment and portable appliance testing

All University owned electrical equipment is PAT tested when it is new and all University owned equipment is subject to regular testing. The University will not test any personal electrical equipment you may bring and we do not accept any liability for its safety. We do ask that you adhere to the following:

  • Any electrical appliances you bring must be British Standard approved and correctly wired.
  • Electrical appliances must not be used in bathrooms and showers unless designed for that purpose.
  • Mains extension leads can be used provided that the load on the extension is no more than 13 amps and use is limited to one lead per socket. Cables should be positioned carefully and not present a trip hazard or other risk.
  • All equipment must be suitable for use in the UK. The electricity supply in the UK is 220 – 240v.
  • You must not modify or interfere with the University’s electrical equipment. Any faults, possible hazards or safety concerns should be notified to a member of staff as soon as possible
  • Heaters and cooking equipment are not permitted in bedrooms and may be removed into storage.

The risk assessments for residential accommodation, in particular those which relate to fire, cover all electrical equipment which we anticipate a residential student will use. The University reserves the right to inspect residents’ electrical equipment and if in their view such equipment poses a risk then staff will take the equipment into safe keeping or request that you remove the equipment from the premises.


The University is committed to reducing our carbon impact ( and encourages residents to reduce energy and water use and participate in the various carbon reduction initiatives ( All residents are asked to use energy responsibly. In particular to ensure that:

  • All gas or electrical items are turned off when rooms are empty unless required for security.
  • All laptops or PCs are set to hibernate or standby. To set your computer go to the start menu, select control panel, select power options (often found in Performance and Maintenance) then select standby or hibernate.

Fire alarm testing and drill: Fire alarms will be tested weekly on Thursdays between 8:30am - 9:00am. You do not need to evacuate during a fire alarm test. If you hear a fire alarm at any other time or if the fire alarm sounds continuously for more than 45 seconds you must evacuate the building immediately.

Emergency Assembly Point: The assembly point for all students is the front lawn outside of Langford House. No one should leave the assembly area until a roll call has been made and the building checked for safety. You must not return to evacuated buildings until told to do so by a member of staff.

Students must familiarise themselves with the fire and safety regulations and procedures.

Please read the Action in Case of Fire notice on the back of your room door and by all main building entry doors, and make sure you have familiarised yourself with fire exit routes from your room and from communal parts of the residence.

In the event of the fire alarm sounding you must evacuate the building immediately and assemble at the assembly point shown above. Do not wait to pick up personal belongings. You are not expected to fight fires, only use extinguishers to aid your escape in an emergency.

Once you have evacuated the building, call 999 if no one else had done so, or University Security on 11223. Never assume it is a false alarm.

The Residence is equipped with fire and smoke alarms, and with fire fighting equipment. This equipment must not be tampered with. All study bedrooms are equipped with smoke detectors and some are linked to the automatic fire alarm. These are very sensitive and are easily set off. False alarms cause disruption and annoyance to all other residents. False alarms also put lives at risk. If the fire and rescue service is dealing with a false alarm, they can’t go to help those in need at a real emergency, such as a fire or road traffic collision. Please do all you can to limit false alarms. The most common cause of false fire alarms is cooking setting off corridor alarms because the kitchen door has been propped open. The highest fire risks arise from cooking being left unattended or students using dirty pans especially grill pans.

Fire exit doors/routes must be kept free from obstruction at all times. Do not obstruct corridors and stairs. These must be clear so that in the event of a fire rapid exit from buildings is possible. This is one reason why bikes are not to be brought into buildings. Anything found to be obstructing a fire exit may be removed into storage without notice. The covering of fire safety signs is also prohibited.

First aid

First Aid Boxes are located in all kitchen/dining rooms. 

Gardens and grounds

The gardens and grounds are maintained by the University’s External Estates. In the case of ice or snow access will be cleared by the residence porters or grounds services as appropriate. Please note that Residences’ gardens or grounds may be shared with other University Departments.


We regret that we cannot have visitors staying in residents' rooms overnight. Overnight guest accommodation can be booked subject to availability by contacting

We are not able to have any guests under 16 to stay in the residence. 


The University does not accept responsibility for residents’ personal possessions. Your first payment includes a fee for block contents insurance, it is essential that you check the cover provided is adequate to your needs.

Kitchens and pantries

Each kitchen /pantry is supplied with a minimum requirement of a microwave, kettle and toaster and refrigerator for food storage, plus a freezer in self-catered residences, depending on the number of users for each area. All equipment supplied by the University of Bristol will be maintained in good order and repair.

Remember that any electrical equipment you bring into your kitchen must be safe. Electrical appliances may be inspected by staff and removed to storage at their absolute discretion if in their view they may present a risk.


The launderette can be found on the ground floor of the New Hostel, opposite room 42. Comprehensive instructions are above the machines. A wash cycle costs £2.50 and a drying cycle costs £1. The machines are coin operated.

If you experience any problems with the washing machines then please contact the Housekeeping Office on 0117 92 89376. 


Residents are responsible for ensuring that the grounds are kept free of litter.

Lost keys and lock outs

If you lose your key, please go to the Housekeeping office, located at the back of Langford House. Out of office hours please go to the Langford Security Office, located at the entrance to the site. You will be issued with a spare key and you will need to sign for it. Please return the spare key as soon as possible to the Housekeeping Office as a charge of £20 for each key lost will be made to your student account.

Lost property

Lost Property will be kept in the Porters' Lodge, and disposed of within 2 months if not claimed. Please fill in our lost property form to notify us of any items you have lost - this will enable us to get in touch if we have had your item handed in.


The postal address for all students is: New/Old Hostel, University of Bristol, Langford House, Stock Lane, Langford, North Somerset, BS40 5DU. 

All in-coming letters should show your given name and surname clearly on the address – we will not always recognise nicknames. Items with unrecognised addressee names will be returned to sender.

We cannot forward mail to students, it is your responsibility to ensure that your address is updated with e.g. your bank. All mail received for students who are no longer resident will be shredded.


All University of Bristol residences are managed in compliance with Universities UK Code of Practice, a copy is available in the Hall office.

Medical care

You are advised to register with the University Students’ Health Service, registration events will take place throughout Arrivals’ Week.

Students with disabilities or special needs

The Langford residences are unfortunately not deemed suitable accommodation for physically or sensory impaired residents. If you are ill or sustain an injury that could prevent you from leaving your accommodation in an emergency please ensure that you make the Site Services Manager aware so that suitable measures can be put in place to enable you to live comfortably and safely in your residence.

PEEPs (Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan) are intended to be used to plan in advance for those who may need assistance or special arrangements during an emergency evacuation of the building.  The PEEP will be completed by the Site Services Manager and the individual and be signed-off by the Fire Safety Adviser.

Moving in

On arrival please report to the Security office located next to the barriers at the entrance of the site. There is an Intercom located on the outside wall of the office for you to contact them. They will provide you with an envelope on the front of which you will find your room number and inside your room key and Registration form, on which you will find the door entry code for the accommodation on the top RH corner.

Please ask Security to direct you to the Residence. Please complete the Registration and Inventory forms and return to Housekeeping office within 24 hours of your arrival or alternatively hand to one of the Housekeeping staff

Moving out

If you want to move our of your residence before your tenancy is due to end you will need to complete the intention to leave form for Langford. We advise you contact the Accommodation Office regarding leaving your tenancy early.

You will remain responsible for the rent until the end of your tenancy or until the room is re-let to a suitable replacement who must be a student at Bristol University and does not already have a University allocated tenancy. You may be charged up to £100 to cover the costs of re-letting your room.


Students staying in accommodation are required to comply with the Langford School of Veterinary Sciences Car Parking policy.

Within 48 hours of arrival all students are required to log their vehicles details using the Langford Parking google form (see link in policy document above). On completion Students will be issued with a zonal car-parking permit, obtainable from Dolbury building Reception. This is non-transferable and must be displayed in vehicles at all times. Parking is only permitted in your allocated zone.


All repairs must be reported using the Langford online repair reporting form. Reporting a problem any other way may result in a delay in getting the repair seen to. 

Décor and furnishings will be maintained in good order in accordance with the relevant regulations, with regular checks taken on defects. 

Repairs are managed and carried out by the University’s Building Services who also ensure that the University complies with the Statutory Requirements of Legislation affecting the safe and efficient use of the residences. Building Services aims to respond to repair requests to a timetable:

  • Emergency (e.g. loss of water supply, major flood) - response within one hour, rectification as soon as possible but within 24 hours
  • Critical (e.g. loss of heating, cooking facilities) - response and repair commenced within 24 hours
  • Urgent (e.g. minor leak, blocked drain) - response and repair commenced with 5 working days
  • Routine (e.g. repair to non-essential furniture or kitchen equipment) - a specific date will be agreed usually within 5 weeks.
Rubbish and recycling

Recycling facilities are located in every kitchen and additional facilities are located in the gated Waste Compound situated by the garages behind the Old Hostel.  We provide recycling and composting facilities for all students at their halls of residence and also at every University building. You can recycle the following items:

  • Papers
  • Cardboard
  • Glass
  • Tins and cans
  • Plastics
  • Food waste
  • Clothes, shoes, bric-a-brac etc

For more information, see our green university pages. 


Emergency number (24 hour): 0117 331 1223 (internal 112233)

Langford security team: 0117 928 7848 (internal 87848)

Non-emergency number: 0117 928 7848 (internal 87848)

Security is managed by the University’s Security Services in accordance with a Service Level Agreement. There are University Security patrols on duty throughout the night. 

Social spaces

There is a small Gym located behind the back of Langford House and the Sports, Exercise & Health dept. also organise a selection of evening exercise classes during term time. To use the facilities you need to be a gym member.  

The Langford Café, located in the Communal building is open 8.00 a.m. – 4.00p.m Mon – Friday and serves good selection of meals, light snacks, confectionary, drinks etc. throughout the day. The Communal building also house a small Bar that is open periodically for social events organised by various student groups and others.

The Student Barn, located in centre of site opposite the clock tower is the main social hub and is open 24/7, with U card access. This houses a large recreational area with wide screen television, Pool table etc. and small kitchenette. There are also tennis Courts located at back of Langford House and Snooker Club available to members at the top of Langford House

Television licenses

If you watch or record programmes as they’re being shown on TV – on any device – you need to be covered by a TV Licence. That includes a TV, laptop, tablet, mobile phone, games console, digital box, DVD/VHS recorder or anything else. Our residence licence doesn’t cover a student in their room, and your parents’ licence also won’t cover you.

From 1 September 2016 you need to be covered by a TV Licence to download or watch BBC programmes on demand, including catch up TV, on BBC iPlayer. This applies to any device and provider you use. For more information and to buy a license, visit the TV Licensing website.


Students wishing to transfer between residences should complete and return the transfer form which they will find on the accommodation office transfers page. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The accommodation office will contact students if a suitable room becomes available, priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to transfer because of a health problem or a disability. Students are expected to leave their rooms clean and ready for the new tenant.  A re-letting fee of up to £100 may be charged.

Students wishing to transfer rooms within their own residence should contact the Accommodation Supervisor. No transfers will take place during the first two weeks of term. The Student Support Adviser will contact the student if a suitable room becomes available. Priority for transfers will be given to anyone who needs to move because of a health problem or a disability. A re-letting fee of up to £20 may be charged to cover the costs of administration, room cleaning etc.

Advice and support

If you are experiencing any difficulties with any aspect of your living situation or life at University, you are encouraged to contact either the Accommodation Supervisor or Site Services Manager.  You can get details of who is who and how to get in touch on our contacts page.

Other support is available from the Accommodation Office for help with all housing related problems, the Student Fees and Funding Office for help with all money problems, and Student Services, which provides access to a wide range og help and support. The Bristol Students’ Union also provides support and advice to all students on a range of issues.

Short stays at Langford

Accommodation at Langford is available on a short term basis for students, staff and anyone attending a conference or course at the campus. To find out more and book visit the Langford accommodation pages.  

Edit this page